• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to tick a dell powersupply?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SewerBeing

Grasshoppa Senior
how to trick a dell powersupply?

I have an old dell powersupply floating around my room, is there anyway to get it to work with out hooking it up to a motherboard?
Also the wires on a molex connector what are they?? 12v, 5v???
EDIT: sorry for the spelling error in the message title

Last edited:
now if i did that mod i know i sound dumb here lol could i hook my fans up to the mod P.S and leave my main one for the rest of my stuff i got a old 145 watt gateway ps here

Just to make things clear, not all PSUs have a green wire at pin 14. Just follow this picture of the pinout;
plug.gif

I just hooked all my fans to my second P.S. i have it sitting on the back side of my case it has a 92mm fan so it should stay cool and its only 145watt. insted of taking a wire i took the power switch out of a older style P.S and screwed that in to the bottom of my desk so i can turn it on and off at the flick of a switch. plus my +12v is up to 11.97v before it was 11.5 - 11.6 they jumped around alot now there all steddy thank you for the idea i was going to trash it take care

thank, I just did discover it doesnt have a green wire. I am gonna hook my fans up to a second powersupply, once again thank you. One problem though, this psu has 24 pins instead of 12, does that change anything??

On Dell-style PSUs the grey wire on pin 11 is for Power-on, and the sole orange wire is the Power-good signal from the PSU.
The +3.3V rail is on the blue-white wires on the 6-pin Molex.

On standard ATX PSUs the grey wire is Power-Good status from the PSU.

All the other wires on a Dell use conventional colors -- red +5V, yellow +12V, purple +5Vstandby, white -5V, and blue -12V, but the locations are mixed up

Back