• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

May have solved a problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Katabatik

Registered
Just found out that the newer steppings of some higher clocked PIII's use a thing called "split plane voltage." I called intel and they said that these CPU's could cause problems with older mobo's. I have an Abit BE6 II and I've been having tons of problems with my cC0 stepping PIII 850. They said that any mobo that is i810 or older would be fine. Due to the SoftMenu III on the mobo the chip works but I have to run it at high Vcore and it runs real hot. They also said that it could cause the chip to burn-out super quick. No good. I needed a new mobo anyways so I'm going to get an Abit SA6R. BTW I heard of this from a reply by Placid who gave me the link in another post of mine. Here it is. I think if you're running a high frequency PIII on an older chipset you should check it out. http://support.intel.com/support/processors/sspec/p3p.htm

I've an abit SH6 mobo (intel 815) and a P3 gigaherz.

I presume that this mobo is good, but I'm using an abit slocket !!! so will that cause problems with respect to this split pan voltage thing ?

I have to say though, I have noticed that I HAVE to push the voltage way up even for the minimal of overclocking (1050 at 1.80 volts).

Your mobo is fine but the sloket I don't know about. The rep didn't say anything about it but I'll do some researc tomorrow and get back to you.

Back