• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WTC?!!! 2500+ Wont do 2.2!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

S3CUR3

Help!

I just bought a used 2500+ Barton. Stepping is AQXDA, week 0315. For some reason, it won't do 2.2 for anything! 10x200 is Prime/F@H/UT2K3 stable at stock voltage, but 11x200 isn't stable even at 1.9v! WTC?! My PS is pretty stable, and my motherboard can handle 200FSB. Why won't this chip do what every other Barton on the planet will do???

I have heard mixed responses about burning it in. The previous owner never Oced, so would burning in @ like 2v help?

TIA!

Its a Leadtek K7NCR18G Pro. I had my TBred running @ 11.5x200 before, so I dont think the mobo is the problem (at least I hope not...).

i had a AQXEA 0328 TPBW for a little bit that wouldnt do 2.2 regardless of anything.... some bartons just plain suck. sorry dude

I would do a *mild* burn-in. Unsafely overclocking the hell out of my processor once a week for a few hours seemed to help, also, if you have a window, open it, then close it. Huge changes in the temperatures seemed to help.
I never went above 1.8v on the stock HSF and it was enough.

Look in my sig, I have a worse steeping than you and got higher.

You shouldn't be having memeory problems because 200 is stable for you.

I think it is CPU cooling, what is your temp and cooling?

Also early bartons liek mine LUUUVVVV high voltage. My proc is getting the 2.03v setting in bios and 2v according to sensor. Cooling really matters. With a TT Volcano 9 I could only do 2268/2281, 2268 was months stable, 2281 was stable for a couple of days, with a TR SK6+ I can do 2324. Stable for months. You've hit you limit when your proc hits 56C under load (prime95 is good). Dont increase voltage anymore. Only get better cooling.

I dont think it is cooling. I have an SLK-900A and 92mm Tornado. I will try burning it in and see what happens.

S3CUR3 said:
I dont think it is cooling. I have an SLK-900A and 92mm Tornado. I will try burning it in and see what happens.

True, but what are ur temps? Maybe the hs didn't seat properly.

Google MBM5 or go into bios and post the temps :) That can easily rule out 1 possible issue.

Sorry dude, my AQXDA is rock solid stable @ 3200+ with a Vantec Aeroflow...

Ryan

I think mine is an AQXDA (its a fairly early barton and that stepping does sound familiar) and you can see what I can run it up to in my sig. Right now I'm at 2329mhz @ 1.725v

Are you sure your PS can handle the O/C?

overclocking is hit and miss. my gf has my old AQXDA 0315WPIW. it's doing 200x11 at stock voltage. however, i bought one of the supposed awesome ocers, the xp1800. stepping JIUHB 0332MPMW and only got 2.1 stable at 1.66v. any higher voltage wouldn't boot. was a DLT3C too. so basically how far you are able to oc is totally dependent on the specific chip that you have. you probly just got a bad one. tough break.

Well, right now I'm running at 180x11. I think running Folding for a few days at 1.9v has really helped. Also, is UT2K3 good for testing stability? In my experience (which is limited to only a few chips) a CPU can run for almost 3 hours in Prime before finding an error, but UT locks up on an unstable system within minutes.

Back