• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OBLIVIONLORD

How do I cool the inside of the PSU? I took it apart and saw the connector of both a 92mm and 80mm fan. The 80mm has +/- connections plus a sensor wire. I have a faster 80mm fan that I can put in its place but, it doesnt have a sensor wire. Will this be a problem? If I put in a faster cfm 92mm fan will that harm the internal components within the PSU?

PSU = Antec SL350
Case = Antec SLK3700

I have 2 intake 120mm case fans with 1 exhaust 120mm

My case temp at room temp of 79F is 33C full load. At 70F its at 26C.

You could add fans to the PSU, however I would notn recommend doing this yourself - unless of course you're either A) knowledgable with electronics or B) insane :). This would do a fine job of cooling the PSU - however if it's working fine then cooling it isn't really going to give you any advatnage, besides making your cooling mechanics more complex - the added output will change the pressure inside your case and you may experience adverse affects (such as dust buuild-up or cooling performance loss), however, it'd be hard to say. Good Luck!

It doesn't take a whole lot to cool a PSU. Since you said you have 1 exhaust and 2 intake 120s, you'll have a good amount of air going through it anyway. I wouldn't try it unless you just want a fun project to do.

Modding your PSU is a piece of cake, and if you think it would benefit from some extra airflow then go for it.

The lack of a sensor wire is probably not an issue...some PSUs have a connection that will allow the motherboard to monitor the PSU fan activity, if you haven't been using this function then you have no problems.

To quickly discharge the power caps I have hooked a fan to one of the molexes and then, with the power disconnected, toggle the on/off switch a few times. The fan will probably jump once or twice, then lay inert.
Of course I may be wrong about this technique so use your own discretion, but it has always worked for me...

Not having the blue wire is not a problem. That wire usually goes to the mobo to provide rpm monitoring (I don't plug this in anyways).

Putting a faster 92mm fan should not harm the PSU, however I do recommend you connect this fan to a molex instead of the PSU board since the board usually supplies about 7V to the fans to keep the noise down.

rxc said:

Putting a faster 92mm fan should not harm the PSU, however I do recommend you connect this fan to a molex instead of the PSU board since the board usually supplies about 7V to the fans to keep the noise down.

If you think that this might be the case take a good look at the PSU circuit board where your 12v (yellow) wires are soldered in.
You may have a few extra open holes in this area that you can solder your fan lead into.

If I put a high CFM exhaust 80mm in the PSU in replace of whats in there now and Not replace the 92mm that is the intake which barley blows any air then will this be a problem?

It wouldn't be a problem, but I don't know what the point would be. You'd be better off with a higher speed 92 as they push more air quietly than 80s do anyway.

Should've mentioned this before but before you go replacing your fans try connecting your existing fans to 12 V molex connectors and see if their speed increases. If they do then they were being undervolted by the PSU. Connecting them to the 12 V molex connectors will make the fans run at their maximum speeds.

Thermo controlled PSU's like Antec TruePowers. They usually run their fans at 7V to reduce noise.

Their fans are variable, the stock fans are connected to a board inside the psu that varies the voltage supplied to them according to temperature thus varying how fast they spin. However, people have noticed that these fans do not spin up (remaining at about 7V) and as a result the PSU gets quite warm.

Really warm!

I replaced the rear fan and ran it to the molex and wow what a difference! I used to be scared it would blow on me sometimes just feeling the heat barely coming out.

Its so cool now,i took out the 90mm bottom fan.Dont need it anymore!

BTW i have an antec SL350.

OBLIVIONLORD said:
If the PSU gets too hot will it cause the pc t auto reboot?

I'm thinking:
PSU gets too hot,
PSU starts to smoke,
PSU shuts off,
PC shuts off.

Back