• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

It's Debian Time

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

killer7

Okay, I have been using Mandrake 9.2 for a while now and have decided I am ready for Debian. I booted to the Windows partition manager and deleted all of my partitions and headed to www.linuxiso.org. Under i386 these are all of the packages available:

Debian GNU/Linux - Disk 1 Generic boot (Non-US)
Debian GNU/Linux - Disk 1 Generic boot (US)
Debian GNU/Linux - Disk 2 'vanilla' boot
Debian GNU/Linux - Disk 3 'compact' boot
Debian GNU/Linux - Disk 4 'idepci' boot
Debian GNU/Linux - Disk 5 'bf2.4' boot
Debian GNU/Linux - Disk 6
Debian GNU/Linux - Disk 7

Ack! What all do I wan't? Mandrake only had three ISO's. I would asume I would want Disk 1 US version, but then do I need 2-7? Im going to have to go buy more cd-r's...

Just get either version of the first disk. It doesn't matter; once you've got the base system installed, you just do apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade and your system will be as up-to-date as any other stable/unstable/testing system out there. If you've got a Knoppix CD, you can even install directly off that and avoid Debian's dumb (as in semi-low-level) installation process.

lol, though I will probobly be expirementing with slackware eventually, but I still like the idea of the apt-get and that I don't have to compile everything myself.

I am using Xandros 2.0 Deluxe, which is Debian-based (testing branch, I think) and it is great and easy to install and use. I can install basic programs with the Xandros Networks program (a nice GUI for the apt-get) but also can go to the command line and do it the old fashion way :)

chasingapple said:
Apt-Get rocks!! Just to let you know, you have the Apt option as well as up2date within Fedora Core :)

Don't forget Gentoo with portage either..... :D

From Gentoo.org:

What is Portage?_

Portage is the heart of Gentoo Linux, and performs many key functions. For one, Portage is the software distribution system for Gentoo Linux. To get the latest software for Gentoo Linux, you type one command: emerge sync. This command tells Portage to update your local "Portage tree" over the Internet. Your local Portage tree contains a complete collection of scripts that can be used by Portage to create and install the latest Gentoo packages. Currently, we have nearly 6000 packages in our Portage tree, with new ones being added all the time.

Portage is also a package building and installation system. When you want to install a package, you type emerge packagename, at which point Portage automatically builds a custom version of the package to your exact specifications, optimizing it for your hardware and ensuring that the optional features in the package that you want are enabled -- and those you don't want aren't.

Portage also keeps your system up-to-date. Typing emerge -u world -- one command -- will ensure that all the packages that you want on your system are updated automatically.

CN

Of all the distros I've tried, my Gentoo box has had the highest longevity. Meaning, I have always been able to stay as current as I want to be - with minimal hassle. As has been said many times, the installation is the quirkiest part. Beyond that, it is simply a geek dream come true.

Debian is a very capable distro, and for someone that doesn't stay on the bleeding edge - it comes highly recommended. Sure, it's possible to stay current with Debian, but it isn't as easy as Gentoo. Gentoo, just works.

wquiles said:
I am using Xandros 2.0 Deluxe, which is Debian-based (testing branch, I think) and it is great and easy to install and use. I can install basic programs with the Xandros Networks program (a nice GUI for the apt-get) but also can go to the command line and do it the old fashion way :)
'

I have heard alot about that one, is there a way to download an ISO and try it out? Right now I am using Overclockix which is based on Debian but a little too pre-configured for the author, hehe ;)

Get the netinstall (minimal) install version here and do the installation from the net. It is a great way to learn the most important tools in Debian. It's the way I did it and it gave me a lot of heartache but I also learned so much in the process.

Im not ready for more heartache, hehe. Most Linux distros are a pain in the butt if your windows guy. I will probably stick with Fedora or Overclockix for now, they are easy to setup and work well.

Back