• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

When I go from NVidia to ATI, do I reinstall windows?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stabber

Let me reprhase that, Do I HAVE to re-install windows when I switch video cards. Will be going from an Nvidia ti4200, to an ATI Radeon 9600xt. Why do some of you recommend re-installing windows instead of just swapping cards???

Running DX8.1 right now I believe.
Thanks

Excelsior said:
No you don't have to... you can use Driver unistall features or get some detornator remover...

Thanks. Does it make a difference? Will my system perform better or something if I do a fresh install after the switch to ATI?

ps: Just installed XP on this machine a few days ago

As long as you completely remove the nvidia video drives you should have no problem. Driver cleaner is a good choice.

If there are still nvidia video drivers being loaded or nvidia specific registry settings then you will have performance and stability problems.

If you install the ATI card and run into problems, I would recommend you re-install, it will most likely save alot of trouble in trying to figure out what the problem is...

MUST remove nvidia drivers with a 3rd party program (like detonator destroyer). a simple "uninstall" will not work

make sure you boot up in SAFE MODE so windwos does not load any defualt drivers you dont want - remove the drives in safe mode - the install the new card and boot up.

if yo start to have problems with crashes - games etc - then umay want to reinstall.

Back