• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I want 200MHz... PLS HELP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Caviman2201

Ok, experts... I'm looking for a few opinions on what direction I should go next for upgrading. I'm currently running:

Biostar M7VIT Pro (KT400)
AMD Athlon XP 2800+ (2.15GHz @ 172FSB)
1G DDR333 RAM (512M Crucial DDR400, 2 sticks generic 256M DDR333)
80G Maxtor U/ATA-133 HDD
eVGA nVidia GeForce FX 5700 Ultra (530/965)
Sony 16x DVD-ROM
I/O Magic 4x DVD-RW/+RW
Hiro 400W PSU

Currently considering:

ASUS A7N8X (nForce2 Ultra 400)
512M Crucial DDR400 (to run in Dual Channel)

My goal for now is to hit 200Mhz FSB. Please lead me in the right direction (parts wise) on how to get there... I need suggestions on cooling parts as well.

NF7-s is a good one, dfi lanparty NFII ultra b is a good one

both will hit 200 ez

id get like you are considering another 512M Crucial DDR400 then you will have two stick of DDR400 that will help alot to get there

For Cooling SLK-900A is Sweet got one on mine temp's a 37c idle to 43c load

DFI infinity from newegg or nf7-s and some good old pc3200 should get you there but I'am not sure about your PSU do you watch your rail's. What do they drop to 12+ 5+ and 3.3+?

12+ is getting 12.00
5+ is getting 5.03
3.3+ is getting 3.36
as we speak...

what about the ASUS... you are all reccomending the Abit or the DFI... is the ASUS no good?

Well not go there and say it's no good but if I wanted 200+fsb for sure my money is ont the abit up to 225fsb and then the dfi up to 250fsb. I would get the dfl for only 93 bux @ newegg.

There is a reason everyone is saying abit and DFI.

Definitely is a reason. The Asus board is a good board, but it's not quite the overclocker that the DFI and Abit boards are. The Abit board tends to get higher overall CPU clocks, while the DFI tends to hit outstanding FSBs with more frequency.

So you guys would go for the DFI? I was looking at the Abit NF7 not the "S" version because I don't need SATA, but the DFI has SATA and costs less than the NF7-S.

Current Prices:
DFI Ultra Infinity: $93
Abit NF7-S: $102
Abit NF7: $76

Which do you guys, the overclocking gods, reccomend? :)

even with a good board, your PC2700 ram might keep you back from 200fsb. Have you ever tried taking out your PC3200 stick and only overclocking the PC2700 to see if it can get to 200?

lower the multipliar and raise the fsb to 200 with the PC3200 ram taken out and see if it's stable. I'm assuming since you're asking here that you've already tried your 1gig of ram at 200fsb and it didn't work?

IMOG said:
jonspd: I see that the nf7-s takes the slk-800 as it says in your sig. Is that without any problems?

NP at all with it's a regular slk-800A.

Caviman2201 said:

Which do you guys, the overclocking gods, reccomend? :)

DFI infinity from newegg or nf7-s in that order.

jlin, i have a VIA KT400 board without a 1/6 divider so I've never been able to get NEAR 200MHz.. the highest I've gotten is 175 and it wasnt' stable. I'm going to take out the DDR333 and just leave in the DDR400 stick once I get the nForce2 board.

Also, I've heard that some BIOS's can unlock the newer Bartons... is that true? I hope so because otherwise, to hit 200MHz, i'm gonna need some serious cooling with my 12.5 multi. I'll be running 2500Mhz on my 2800+

You cant unlock the unlockable. But you can get a mobile unlocked cpu.

i got 192 on a kt400 board stable, HD corruption beyond that. my corsair pc2700 absolutely REFUSED to post at 200fsb on a new board with the vdimm maxed, get that 333 junk outta there!

Hm...yes, the KT400 days. I use to have a A7V8X, it was stable at 183. Anything beyond that my hdd corrupted.

Get a nforce2 board :D

Well you can do the mobile trick on your 2800+: Connect the 2nd and 3rd L5 bridge (2nd for x24 max multiplier, 3rd for mobility enabled), and you can then use GCPUID to change the CPU multiplier settings from windows

does changing it from desktop to mobile do anything to the power of the processor?

and, Supposing I don't unlock it, what kind of cooling and RAM would I need to safely run the chip at 200Mhz? Keep in mind, my multi is 12.5 stock so I'd be running at 2500MHz. Would an SLK900A and the regular Crucial DDR400 RAM do the trick? I would think my current RAM would be fine since I'm not going above it's 400MHz DDR Specifications...

Ok, guys, thanks for the help and suggestions... I just ordered the DFI NFII Ultra Infinity from newegg.com... It should be at my house by Friday so I'll post results then. Thanks again.

Caviman2201 said:
does changing it from desktop to mobile do anything to the power of the processor?

and, Supposing I don't unlock it, what kind of cooling and RAM would I need to safely run the chip at 200Mhz? Keep in mind, my multi is 12.5 stock so I'd be running at 2500MHz. Would an SLK900A and the regular Crucial DDR400 RAM do the trick? I would think my current RAM would be fine since I'm not going above it's 400MHz DDR Specifications...
It wont affect performance. I think you are the one that has the KT400, well every chipset EXCEPT NF2 can do the mobile unlock. So your in luck because you can do it. Also you CAN NOT decrease your booting multiplier (aka multiplier before you unlocked it), so if it is 11x, you can't down it to 9x because you will never get stable into windows to do it.

You can thearetically, decrease it, then pump up the FSB with another tool on the fly. Dont kow if anyone tried that.

Also this mod does not reenable L3, the mutli pin mod, or BIOS multi change. This is like changing your CPU speed in a laptop when you unplug the AC power, except we are doing it in reverse and changing it up. I have doen this mod myself and it work very nicly, 2 durons been runnign about 1 1/2 months now 24/7 full load and they are nice and stable around 2.1ghz (low mb vcore when pin mod to 1.85v).

Back