• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

knoppix 3.4 hdinstall

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Indio

Registered
after su to root i tried: knx-hdinstall

but it dosent work...anything im missing here? Also iwill i be able to hdinstall with lang=us ?

Thanks!

knx-install is not present in knoppix 3.4 cebiut edition. The newer knoppix-installer script is, however it is missing some files.

You could try this-

google for knx-templates.0.39.tgz and download them to /home/knoppix. Untar them into a folder.

su
cp /usr/sbin/knoppix-installer /home/knoppix/whatever folder_you_untarred_the_files_to
cd /home/knoppix/whatever folder_you_untarred_the_files_to
./knoppix-installer

You can set it to English in KDE the first time you boot.

I should have a custom CD available that defaults to English and has both installer scripts in a few days.

Last edited:
Arkaine23 said:
knx-install is not present in knoppix 3.4 cebiut edition. The newer knoppix-installer script is, however it is missing some files.

You could try this-

google for knx-templates.0.39.tgz and download them to /home/knoppix. Untar them into a folder.

su
cp /usr/sbin/knoppix-installer /home/knoppix/whatever folder_you_untarred_the_files_to
cd /home/knoppix/whatever folder_you_untarred_the_files_to
./knoppix-installer

You can set it to English in KDE the first time you boot.

I should have a custom CD available that defaults to English and has both installer scripts in a few days.
Thanks man! Looking forward for your release..Just made a hdinstall of Overclockix one word AWESOME!

I have high hopes for this next iso. I'm starting from a clean slate (so hopefully I can avoid bugs in the KDE menu) and there seems to be oodles of space for me to add things. Also, I get to tweak on gnome as it's included, and I think enlightenment is as well. So that's a solid 5 or 6 window managers / desktop environments for me to tinker with.

It looks like the 2.6.1 kernel still needs some work- I can't add nvnet or forcedeth drivers to it until the knoppix developers upgrade to a more current kernel. They have ported their own cloop module (compression type the iso uses) specifically for 2.6, but I don't know enough right now to attempt to compile my own 2.6.2 kernel with nforce support and cloop.

Luckily this iso has both a 2.6 and a 2.4 kernel, so nforce support for the 2.4.23 kernel is already done on the iso I'm buildiing.

Other things I'm working in- extra widgets accessible in the kde right-click menu, some sweet karamba/superkaramba themes, scripts to run seti windows client in wine.

Some other new things in this release-

memtest cheatcode - launches memtest instead of linux when running from CD

captive NTFS- lets you import NTFS.sys and NTSKRNL.exe to do write support for NTFS filesystem

Kilck- Interface for installing some software to ramdisk while running live from the CD.

Back