• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Folding on Xbox

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Animal982

Anyone know of any good guides to getting F@H setup on an Xbox? I kinda hate having mine just sitting here collecting dust when I could be using it to fold.

I'm pretty sure you could be able to use the Linux version of FAH to fold on an XBox running linux, but I never tried so I wouldn't know, one hell of an idea though!

A few people have brought that up before, including me. I think if you get Linux on there you should be able to get the Linux client folding, but who knows for sure...

I have heard people have got Linux installed on their Xboxs before but I myself have never installed or used Linux on even a PC which is why I wanted to know if anyone had a step by step guide on how to do it.

Dumb question..................What does "fold" mean? I just joined & I keep reading it everywhere.

Thanks guys!!!

You can still play games...its just as if you had a computer dual booting Linux and Windows.

There is a boot option in your..er....BIOS? thing where you put in the Linux bit, so you have a choice to either a) boot into a game or b) boot into Linux.

Fold and Frag on
Brian

There is both a software and hardware method for getting Linux to run. The software method installs a Linux command to the Xbox dashboard which allows you to boot to Linux but still allows you to play all your Xbox games. Only disadvantage is you cant get Xbox Live with the software mod. If you want to do the hardware mod you have to to two small solder points in the Xbox and overwrite the xbox bios with a linux bios. Disadvantage to this is obviously you cant play Xbox games until you restore the original xbox bios which is definately stil possible. Another hardware method is to get a modchip that allows to to boot different bioses but I havent looked too far into this.

PCGUY112887 said:
If you fold on an X-Box I think you are going to need better cooling. As most of you know if you play Halo for a few hours your X-Box is very hot. Now think of running the 733mhz processor at 100% 24/7.

Also, the new x-box's (1.1-1.5) have NO fan on top of the processor, makeing it even hotter.

And it's
http://www.xbox-scene.com

haha, xboxs dont run hot. ive ran many.. they are made to run very warm. thats the idea to passive cool the gpu and cpu.

BTW there was never a fan on the processor. you said in the last folding xbox thread i didnt know anything? :lol: well its on the gpu. the 1.0 had it. the newer sink actually disapates More heat then that crappy fan on the 1.0 gpu chipset.

running the xbox 247 is fine if you have a decent 70~80F room temp. ive ran my xbox for over a week with room temps of 90F and it still works. so thats not a problem..

just had to make sure the right info is given out :)

Back