• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

newbie witha tape drive.....ummm help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadSkillzMan

hey all..i just inherited an ADAPTEC 2940/2940w SCSI card with Seagate CONNER CTT8000s backup drive and about 12 travan tapes...windows installs eveyrthing, the drivers on the site are for winnt 3.5 ....so how is this supposed to work? is it supposed to show up in MY COMPUTER as another drive? i stick a tape in, light goes on for a good 2 minutes..then nothing. so i hitup the backup utility in XP and to test tried to backup a few files...it brings up an error saying that i need to insert a new tape...so how the heck do i erase the old one?

also the SCSI mite be set wrong, but ima newbie to that as well. the jumpers are on the bottom the first 2 are closed, the second 2 are open, then the next 2 dont have jumpers at all, and i beleive the last 2 are closed...the factory default i think is 4...how do i set this?

It won't show up in MY COMPUTER, but it should be in Device Manager under Tape Drives.

You need software to run a tape drive, either software that came with the drive or NTbackup.

i got some demo software, all it says is "error accessing drive" yet it shows up in my device manager....could it be its position on my SCSI cable? if windows finds the driver is that good enough?

also...NONE of the options are able to be edited in the properties of the device manager....and i found my drive is set to 3 and not 4...could that be it?

As long as the SCSI ID isn't conflicting with your zip drive or controller card, it doesn't matter.

Is the demo software you got compatible with your drive? Try to run NTbackup and see if it can access the tape drive.

hmm..no i cannot...when i try to write it says that the tape is full, when i try to retreive it says theres no file. Windows only installed a file along the lines of miniqic.sys .....thats all...the drivers for NT are a few more, but they dont install or extract. ive manually tried placing themin sys32 and driver caches and where the .ini file says, but no luck. now what ? lol

...ok right now my ONLY guess is termination needs to be set if it isnt...its the only SCSI drive...i think its set but ill double check just to be sure. when i try to veiw the properties in device manager it freezes for about a min....then it comes up with its properties...only i cannot set ANY of the values

Back