• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How Hot is too hot for a overclocked PIII 1Ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

youARR

Registered
im overclocking my PIII 1 Ghz coppermine to 140 FSB, 7.5 MUltiplyer
i want to know how hot is too hot for it.
its about 43 degrees in windows, is this hot?
im yet to see how hot it is after gaming so if it gets to 50 degrees should i add more cooling?
or is this temp alright

hmm........that should be your max. Even tho Intel's site says it can be much higher, the cooler the faster. A 1gig running at 10c and a 1 gig running at 40c........the 10c rig will be faster.

I'd consider better cooling........especially since this is normal operating temp.......under UT you can expect almost 10 degrees higher.

60C is max for your processor your temps could be a little cooler, mine got to 50C and i lost some stability instead of 165fsb the best i can do is 164fsb the only reason i let mine get to 50c was because i was trying to burn it in i dont recomend this process now my chip runs 30c under ful load

youARR (Apr 30, 2001 05:41 a.m.):
im overclocking my PIII 1 Ghz coppermine to 140 FSB, 7.5 MUltiplyer
i want to know how hot is too hot for it.
its about 43 degrees in windows, is this hot?
im yet to see how hot it is after gaming so if it gets to 50 degrees should i add more cooling?
or is this temp alright

umm whats the point of ocing a 1ghz to 1.05 ghz ??

I dunno, 43 degrees in Windows sounds a little warm. My P-III 700/1071 stays at 40 degrees after intensive 3D gaming. Just loafing in Windows or surfing the 'net is more like 30 degrees. Better cooling usually increases stability and longevity.

I have the same cpu as you do and as im typing this my temp is at 28c. During load it doesnt even get over 40c. I am using the stock heatsink right now, my Alpha will be here in a few days. So my temps should go down even more.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P3 1 GIG @1163 155X7.5 1.85 CV
ABIT VH6 II
MAXTOR 7200 20 GIG
MAXTOR 5400 30 GIG
256MB CORSAIR 150MHZ CAS2
ACER 56X CDROM
SOUNDBLASTER LIVE X GAMER
21" TRINITRON

Back