• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anybody remember VCore for a K6-2?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ChillPhatCat

I'm currently surfing on my newly acquired secondary system... a K6-2 500 which I've got running at 450 passivly cooled. I've got the Vcore set to 2.2V but it seems a little unstable... I don't know what it is supposed to be set at, because all the jumpers were fudged up when I acquired this comp.

BTW I paid $10 under the assumption that something was terribly wrong... and it was actually almost fine.

I'm hoping to clock this puppy to 600 MHz when I figure out the bugs... it's Idling at 35C right now with a Thermaltake Volcano 7+ Heatsink w/ fan removed... the noisiest part of this comp is the hard drive... I hacked apart the PSU and dropped in a 120mm fan running at about 800 RPM.

It was either 2.2 or 2.4, best way to find out is remove the heatsink and look at the heatspreader, the core voltage is printed on there

Hello,
Non plus are 2.8v, generally. Plus models are all 2.0-2.2v. AMD documenation is still readily avialable for them. If it's running at all at 2.0v it must be a plus model. 2.1 usually will stablize them and 2.2 for overclock is plenty. There are many soft volt, mutiplier and fsb programs. Here's a good one that will tell you the exact model, volts and has a soft mulpilier, write allocation tool. Regards,

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=338

The K6-2 500s ran at 2.2 or 2.4, not 2.8. The really old ones ran at that voltage, but not the 400 or up versions

A K6-2 at 500MHz probably has a default vcore of 2.2v and has a max power rating of 20.75W (typica power is 12.45W), probably a little much for passive cooling.

well so far it's runnng 36C at idle... I'm about to DL prime to see how it handles the load... With almost a pound of copper on top of it it seems to be running nice and cool... to be perfectly honest though, I've got the 120mm sucking air off the PSU and across the HS at about 20CFM

I'm going to try to keep the voltage down, the Mobo has jumpers for 1.8V-3.2V :eek:

So far it does all the windows stuff @ 2.2V and no crashes.

LOL check out the prime 95 benchmark:

lol.jpg

Well unless you can find one for free I wouldn't really bother wasting money on such a CPU.
Any socket 7 motherboard will do, better Super Socket7.

Just look it up on google for its booklet. Although all jumper settings should be printed white in some tables somewhere on the board. I have yet to see a board w/o the multiplier/FSB tables printed somewhere on it.

Back