• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclockix 3.4 status

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arkaine23

Captain Random Senior Evil
I made some major progress last night. The tweaking to KDE is almost finished. I expect I could release a beta tomorrow, but due to bandwidth concerns I'd probably only give the link out to a select few. Expect screenshots tonight.

Also, I've got a killer karamba theme that's transperant. Does anyone want me to change the default background? Karamba can only be transperant with one background at a time. I've made it simple enough to adapt to any background, simply copy the background image you're using to /home/knoppix and name it background.jpg.

NIC drivers are proving to be a problem. Netiher the bcm4400 or bcm5700 would compile. Nforce2 is done for the 2.4 kernel, but I can't get it working for the 2.6 kernel.

Edit: I did have one crisis last night- I wanted to install KDE 3.2 from cvs. But I figured that since its so new, it would probably cause dependency problems later on for those who hdd-install.

Last edited:
Good luck Arkaine, without you we are all doomed =)
I'm waiting for the finished product, I'll download it as soon as you are done with it.

And a rough ETA for the final will be set for this weekend.

- This is the default KDE 3.15 background- There will be a different default background for Gnome 2.4but I have not picked it out yet. Fluxbox and icewm will naturally have a different backgrounds too. This is not the way knoppix is generally setup. :)

snapshot17.jpg

Another pic of xmms and mplayer and transperant menus, featuring a really nice karamba theme-

snapshot18.jpg

Current status- I need a java plugin for mozilla/firebird .7 that was compiled with gcc 3.2. The flash plugins I keel getting from macromedia or apt-get fail (there is not a flash plugin at this time I can use), and I'm getting dependency problems trying to get the full java package from sun (and I don't have the space for it on the CD anyway). Could someone with working recent firebird java plugins help out and pass it along?

I'd really like to implement a transperant kicker (not with karamba though), and I found a packge to do so, but once again I'm blocked because I need kdelibds-dev and kdebase-dev for 3.1.5 in order to build the patch I found, and there's no .deb package for those that I can find. I'd go to kde 3.2 but a lot of things are still broken in it.

My silver xcursors work sometimes, but not when hovering inside a browser window or when resizing windows. Don't know what the deal is, but I'm going to hunt down the default theme cursors that popup instead and replace them with the silver ones to see if that fixes it.

Everything else has gone peachy and kde is done. I couldn't get all the NIC drivers in that I wanted, but nforce2 is there, and I still have at least 3 more to attempt to install. Anyone know what I need to compile nforce or forcedeth drivers for 2.6.1? All the info I found says it can't be done yet, and you need 2.6.2.

Still under contstruction. I started working on gnome, but I'm out of my element there so tweaking is going a little slow. Icewm and Fluxbox should go pretty fast.

Looks like I may try to upgrade to KDE 3.2.

Still looking at an initial release for this weekend.

Last edited:
KDE 3.2 is good, Gnome is pretty easy to master (not much to do), it doesnt have all the tweaks like KDE so you might be looking around for things to change that you cant, hehe. Wallpaper, themes you might look over at http://art.gnome.org/ to jazz it up a bit, window borders, apps, colors, and icons are all done seperatly, but its easy. You can right click on icons / apps and add them to the taskbar (I know your used to adding FROM the taskbar).

IM me if you need any help, I know Gnome better then KDE :)

touser said:
looking great! Will there be support for 802.11g pcmcia cards and ati video cards?

Ornioco and Prism2 chipsets should work. This is not an area I can do much about as not many linux drivers exist for wireless cards, and space on the CD is limited.

And what do you mean by ati video cards? Do you mean 3d hardware-accelerated drivers by default? No. Do you mean will it run fine in 2d? Probably.

Last edited:
Update-

new boot logo selected, thanks ElectroX!

fixed install scripts, set icon for hdd-install and smbmout on the KDE and Gnome desktops

installed fluxbox

KDE and fluxbox menus fully corrected

picked default background and splash screen for gnome 2.4 (a space theme), started working on the gnome menu and icons

fixed mplayer and java plugins for firebird, flash seems partly functional

fixed flash, mplayer, and java plugins for konqueror

still removing some bloat

firefox is now out... you don't need to find java for firebird anymore. but you prolly knew that already... but if you didn't now you know :)

Installing plugins in firefox is no different than installing them in firebird. And you still get caught by issues where fire* or mozilla is compiled with gcc 3.2 but the plugins available are compiled in gcc 2.95 and are incompatible (at least for flash).

do have one request this time around...please dont go TOO crazy with the fonts, it was hard to read alot of the stuff in the older overclockix :)

That was my only gripe! lol

Back