• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD SSE fixed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well,I just put the new core on all my AMD dually's(4 total),I'll let everyone know if this helps with lockups.I never had too many,so I might just wait at least a week to report back.

I almost crapped myself when I saw this thread! w00000r! I have the new core installed on like 10 machines (all 2Ghz +) that have been running 3Dnow! since I built my farm, like 8 or 9 months now. And, The 65 new XP 2400 machines that wedo and I are installing, are ALL running 3dnow cause we cant have them crash... if this works, My production will skyrocket!

nikhsub1 said:
I almost crapped myself when I saw this thread! w00000r! I have the new core installed on like 10 machines (all 2Ghz +) that have been running 3Dnow! since I built my farm, like 8 or 9 months now. And, The 65 new XP 2400 machines that wedo and I are installing, are ALL running 3dnow cause we cant have them crash... if this works, My production will skyrocket!

I'm scared. In a world domination kind of way.

Holy crap. 64 machines!!! Where did you get em and who's housing and paying for the power bill? And the AC bill?

I might ask my college to do it some day. The mac lab already is running seti 24/7...if I could get em to change. They are actually moderatly high on the seti list if I remember correctly. nscc.

Big_Baller said:
Holy crap. 64 machines!!! Where did you get em and who's housing and paying for the power bill? And the AC bill?
Hehe, and only about 24 of the 65 are up right now. It is called system admin :D . I (and Wedo) oversee about 140 machines, plus our personal machines. :)

My Barton really never had a problem with SSE but the few hicups it did have seemed to go completly away.

However... My P4 2.4c pwns my Barton.

Barton = 550ppw

P4 + HT = 850ppw

It should hit over 900ppw once I get it up to 3GHz.

I hope it helps. I get lockups on sse in my dad's barton unless I turn down the overclock to only 2Ghz. That is running everything with voltage above spec and speed below spec except the barton.
On my 2Ghz duron, I had to put it at 1.9Ghz to be able to use SSE. The barton is using 3dnow and the duron is using sse.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. My stepdad's stock 1700 pally uses sse flawlessly, but a 2100 pally that I recently got locked up with sse when I tried folding with it in my duron computer. Hopefully it will be up and running 24/7 as soon as I get a ram stick from my friend.

I've got the new core on this computer, if all goes well, I'll be updating the other 3 that aren't running SSE and probably the 2 that already are.

/me crosses his fingers

yeah that would be really cool, i could finnaly get my AMD's folding more than all those bloody tinkers they ahve been getting.

Umm, it has nothing to do with tinkers. It is so that you can use sse to increase production instead of 3dnow+

In the next core amds will be able to do mmx runs too... :D :D

Did you hear about the dude running some "intel" specific code on a amd fx proc?

Nik and I have had good results with the new core so far. I slipped it into my dually and six layers of the farm and haven't had any troubles yet. Time will tell but this looks real good for us AMD guys.

Furthermore, the majority of our team seems to use AMD whereas [H] and the Aussies are dominated by Intel so hopefullly we'll get a nice jump on them with this core.

Wedo

I've just installed the new core on a 3200+ that would lock up on -forceSSE so I've been running -forceasm. So far so good, the frame times with SSE are less than half of what they were with 3dnow! so that's great. I'll monitor it for a while and let you know if it locks up again. Hopefully we can roll out this new core and get the SSE boost on our XP machines.

Orangebug

Back