• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with GRUB / Gentoo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chasingapple

Well I screwed it up, got all the way through the install and then it gets a kernel error while loading. HELP ME fix this grub.conf file I cannot access aymore!

Ok, so IDE 1 has my HD by itself (windows install)
IDE 2 has my 2nd HD with a DVD-rom slaved on it

I installed Gentoo step by step with the online instructions onto IDE 2's HD (full HD install)

Created per thier instructions..

64mb boot
512mb swap
the rest - root

Everything copied from the cd to the HD great and I got all the way to the end of the process, when it came toime to boot I got a kernel panic. Can anyone walk me through this step by step to get my Gentoo working? I booted to the Windows XP disk and did a fixmbr so I could get online and post this. I need to remake my grub.conf file right!

ok I know its going to be asked so here are the KERNEL and INITRD locations..

/boot/kernel-2.4.20-gentoo-r6
/boot/initrd-2.4.20-gentoo-r6

Gentoo is once again installed to the Primary IDE 2 channel.

Thanks ahead of time, im so lost.

Looks like you're using genkernel - here's my grub.conf file.... keep in mind that I have XP installed on my primary master drive and Gentoo installed on my primary slave drive.

default 0
timeout 30
splashimage=(hd1,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=gentoo 2.4.22-r5smp
root (hd1,0)
kernel (hd1,0)/boot/kernel-2.4.22-gentoo-r5 root=/dev/hdb3 hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi
initrd (hd1,0)/boot/initrd-2.4.22-gentoo-r5

title=gentoo 2.6.1smp
root (hd1,0)
kernel (hd1,0)/boot/kernel-2.6.1-gentoo root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc real_root=/dev/hdb3 hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi
initrd (hd1,0)/boot/initrd-2.6.1-gentoo

title=Windows XP Pro
root (hd0,0)
chainloader (hd0,0)+1

hda- primary master
hdb- primary slave
hdc- secondary master
hdd- secondary slave

hd0,0 = primary master, first partition (like hda1)
hd0,1 = primary master, second partition (like hda2)
hd0,2 = primary master, third partition (like hda3)
hd1,0 = secondary master, first partition (like hdb1)
hd1,1 = secondary master, second partition (like hdb2)

etc etc

Back