• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help partitioning

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rs600cubed

I have a 80g maxtor that I need to reformat for my new system, but am unsure about partitioning. I will be using winxp pro. I use the system for mostly gaming, but do store gamecube isos on it which I dont access much, but will take up a large amount of space. I also do some dvd editing/shrinking. The gaming is he most used/important to me. So how many/what size partitions should I use??

There is no right or wrong way to partition a drve,but keep in mind that the fist partition is closest to the begining or outside edge of the platter thus having the fastest seek times.Also the first primary partition will become C: by default.I like to keep windows on C: so i allways put it on the first patition with a set pagefile that will be on the outermost edge.Windows will use about 3.5 gigs of the partition with all the updates.

Another matter of preference,i like to keep windows by itself and i like at least 50% of unused space on a partition.I have a greater capacity than you for total drive space but i like 10 gigs for my O.S. I like to have a second 10 for applicatitions and games(I don't have many games).The third I use for permanant storage.Any freeware ,installation files,drivers,patches etc. The last and largest I keep the rest of space for video files.

That is the way i do it ,surely not for everyone but it has advantages.10 gig partitions defrag quickly so i can keep windows and apps fast with little maintenance time and can be ghosted to a backup drive quickly as well.

Back