• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another OC Noob about to get hands dirty

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Magelord

I am about to try an OC my system, my only concern is cooling.

System Specs

CPU
Athlon XP "TBRED B" 2100+
AXDA2100DUT3C
AIUHB0302UP8W

MB
EPOX 8RDA+ "1.1"

RAM
OCZ EL DDR434 PC3500 256megX2 2cas
Dual Channel with Copper Heat Spreaders

COOLING SOLUTIONS

CASE
ASPIRE Dreamer X with 400W Power supply
Blowhole fan and side panel Fan
Case Temps average 35C, Max at 37C

HSF
CHEAP CRAP
Err I mean'
Thermal Take Volcano 7 (Thats 7, as in tin foil Heatsink with Copper slug on the bottom)
Heatsink Temps keep fan at 4400 average, and a temp of 35C .
"sorta"Lapped Copper Slug and applied Artic Silver...

(All temps recorded with Motherboard monitor 5)

I intend to get a New HSF in the near future, but... not sure when. I am low on funds and have other obligations to meet. Just purchased new Vid Card and Case, so need to wait a bit..

So my question is...
Doers anyone know the stock Multi - FSB
Is this CPU Locked?
And can i hope to achieve a 2ghz clock with this setup.. without requiring a new HSF?

Welcome to the world of Overclocking. You can probably hit 2.0 with that chip and hs butttttt I strongly suggest you get a better HSF setup. Those Tt 7 hs are like you said crap.

Read the FAQ sticky at the top of this forum for all the info about your chip. Keep a close eye on your temps and go slow. Post your results here so we can see how your doin.

Welcome to the Forums

Thanks for the quick reply..

Well, anyone have advice on a Budget cooling HSF that would be a good one to get?

I have a case with a window so a good looking one is a plus.

Welcome to the dark side .

Thermalright SK-6 is like $15 add your own 60mm fan (check cyber deals, should be a current thermalright thread). Or maybe a Vantec Aeroflow $30. If you can afford better, get a slk-800a and add an 80mm Smart Fan II ($40 total).

Thanks agin for the info...

I was checking the Faq and learned that I have a High End Tbred B here... cool stuff :)

I will check New egg and see what I can find on those HSF's

Newegg doesn't... or atleast they didn't used to have a good selection of HSF. They will have the SFII though. Do a search in the cooling forum for the HS you are interested in because people are always posting links to deals and answering the question which is better for the money.

Good luck with your Tbred. Its a very nice chip. Mine was doing 2.5 ghz @ 2 volts until my water block cracked:(

The stock FSB is 133, and the multi is somewhere around 13.

The CPU isn't locked when used in conjunction with an Nforce 2 board. With other chipsets it is locked, but is easily unlockable with the wire trick.

I don't know what your temps will be like with that heatsink, but that CPU should do 2 GHz easy. Mine with the same stepping and week 7 did 2.4 GHz with a 1.9 Vcore.

Start saving for a Thermalright or similar heatsink, because once you get started overclocking you don't want to stop. Hehe.

Thanks for the info..
You all have been very helpful

Getting into OCing can be very intimadating.. I mean not knowing what can cause a system to crash and burn can make you scared to proceed.

Today, OCing is complicated for someone who just is not "in the know" about it all.
I remeber when a jumper would OC your system, now you have the option of VDD mods, painting bridges, installing Beer Keg water coolers or designing a PC in a block of ice and dry cooled by some NASA patented Space Shuttle exhaust inhibitator Insulation...

Its pretty wild to say the least...

Thanks again for your input.

I will play with the beast this weekend and post the results...

System Specs
http://www.magelord.com/drow/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=24

Back