• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

be6-II refuses to boot cel.800 - PLEASE HELP ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ski-man

Gday Technicians ...

i have a problem that has stupefied a few colleagues - not to mention myself. If you can offer any advice, im all ears. Ill give the system details first.

ABIT BE6-II
Celeron 800 (with ASUS Socket Adapter) using a 100FSB
256M RAM
ASUS V3800 32M TNT2 Ultra
Sblive
Skymaster 100M Network Card
Seagate 20G ATA66 HDD
Sony CRX145E Burner
Sony CDU46 CDROM
250W ATX supply
OS = Win ME
BIOS is latest version (08/02/2001) .. XU .. last letters.

I was originally running a Celeron 466 with no drama at all. I decided to upgrade to the Celeron 800.

I flashed the new BIOS, installed the chip and away she went. All was great for 2 weeks. Next day... my monitor advises no signal on bootup. No beeps heard.

Ive experienced similar intermittant faults with the 466 and a shutdown/restart fixes the problem every time, but not anymore.

Following has been my course of action.

1) Reseat video card - nil fix
2) Reseat CPU - nil fix
3) Refitted 466 - 466 works fine, boots first go.
4) Retried 800 - nil boot again, no beeps.
5) Tried 466 with 800's socket adapter - boot, no problem
6) Tried 800 with 466 socket adapter - nil boot
7) Reset CMOS, tried 800 again - nil boot
8) Took CPU and adapter to mates place to test - boot first go, no problem.
9) Retried 800 on my machine - nil boot.
10) Removed all power cables except ATX, left i stick of 128M RAM, removed all peripherals except video card - nil boot
11) Set CPU speed manually via DP switches - nil boot.

Where do i go from here ?

Im going to try another power supply tomorrow - a 300W unit and see what happens then. But i cant see there being much difference between the 800 and 466. I also noticed 2 or 3 swollen electrolytic cappies on the motherboard and 1 appeared to have internal contents oozing out of the top. Could this have any effect on the boot failure ? The 466 works fine. Everything was working perfectly 2 weeks prior. I changed nothing before the failure. Everything in my system works (including the 800 on another machine), but now, it wont work together.

Please help. Any advice or recommendations would be really apprecaited. Thanks guys !

Tony Palmowski

Yeah, I would think that a little cappie oozing its inards can't be good. It could very well be effecting the split plane voltage(which the old Celly doesn't utilize.) Just a guess really, but sounds like the mobo is fubar unless you have some good soldering skills.

Ditch the SBLive! card. If you came from an earlier CPU like a katmai P3 or a mendocino Celeron, there's an issue with your current SBLive! drivers and the coppermine core, if the system boots without the SBLive! card, you'll need new drivers... If this is not it, you can email me for more help cuz I also have a BE6-II with a Celeron 800

Oops! I missed the part about that you already tried to boot without any PCI cards... I'll see if I can come up with anything else...

I think I got it! I almost forgot about this;
What is your current PSU wattage? I had a Celeron 400 SEPP on a Chanitech 6BTM mobo and a 235Watt PSU. When I got the Abit BE6-II, (only the mobo was changed out, the rest of the system was still the same) it happened often that I got a black screen, the power led on the case turned on, the HDD's spinned up, but no post. After trying whatever setting/flashing the BIOS etc. I emailed Abit about it, and they advised me to get a 300Watt PSU which I did, and the problem was solved. About a year later I replaced the 400 with the new 800...

Oh and btw; The Celeron 800 and 850 don't require any split-pane voltage, only the latest P3's do.

I've been fighting this same problem on and off for months! First I thought it was my PSU. Didnt help. Changed about every setting I could think of in the bios and nothing seemed to be a perminant fix. Then One day I noticed it would run fine with only one of my pci cards in but not both of em. Well I checked and noticed my pci mulitplier was on 1\3. Set it to 1\4 and everything worked perfect. For the last month and a half.

All of a sudden the last week or so some strange things are happening. my second harddisk keeps powering down every now and then (my Quantum FireBall). I'll hear it powerdown, go into My computer and it will lockup hardcore. Well all of a sudden the No post problem you speak about is back. Just now I had some major skipping numerous times while listening to music that is on my Quantum drive. when I restarted it wouldnt post, I unpluged my Quantum and it started right up!

That sucks. I bet that's been the problem all along, My Quantum Harddrive is dying a slow death! Damn thing is only about 7 months old! I guess I'll have to try and get a hold of Quantum and get a new one (Good luck hey).

"Oh and btw; The Celeron 800 and 850 don't require any split-pane voltage, only the latest P3's do. "

Ummm..... Yes they do. If ya visit Intel you can read specifically they use split VTT and VCCcore voltage.
Just checked at Intel to be sure, and all Cco step use this : 6. These processors implement independent Vtt and Vcccore power planes

Back