• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raid 5 setup 1TB became slow all of a sudden?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ReTiCuLeX

Hi, about 3-4months ago I had setup a Raid-5 config for my friends 4x250gb Maxtor HD's to get 1TB of storage. Well he didn't exactly get 1TB as 1 HD is used for backing up and such. As time has gone on, recently he is telling me it is taking like tripple the time It did to extract files in winRAR or WinZip. He is running everything on raid, his OS etc.. I've suggested Defraging,Virus Scan,Disk cleanup and adjusting the Virtual memorey, as well as unpluging the ram from the Raid-5 Controler card and re plugging it. Any ideas guys and girls? Thanks ahead of time :)

- ReT

Agreed. RAID volumes do slow down over time as they begin to fill, but unless he's filled 90%+ of that volume, it shouldn't be performing like what he's saying. A 2/3rds drop in performance should be checked out.

I'd vote for a bad drive as well...

ReTiCuLeX said:
Omg lol, the card wasn't all the way in, looks like I forgot to put a screw /slap me =/ now he claims it works fine.

Ooops. Atleast you figured it out. Sometimes the simplest things seem to slip our minds.

Back