• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Duron unlocking (Superlocked) questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ck42

I realize that there's NOTHING that I can do to get mult. unlocking short of the Northbridge hack but this is a Linux box so that isn't an option.

The question is in regards to the L2 cache. I've redone the bridge to get the cache working numerous times. I've scraped away the green substrate in order to bridge the buried dots for that bridge but it's still not working.

I ran across a thread somewhere that said that superlocked cpus CANNOT unlock the L2 cache. Is this the case? Am I wasting my time trying to unlock it?

wow....bummer.

Thanks for the confirmation tho. Won't be waisting anymore time trying to make it work then. :(

ck42 said:
I realize that there's NOTHING that I can do to get mult. unlocking short of the Northbridge hack but this is a Linux box so that isn't an option.

The question is in regards to the L2 cache. I've redone the bridge to get the cache working numerous times. I've scraped away the green substrate in order to bridge the buried dots for that bridge but it's still not working.

I ran across a thread somewhere that said that superlocked cpus CANNOT unlock the L2 cache. Is this the case? Am I wasting my time trying to unlock it?
Using powernow to change multis is definately possible under linux. I'd say that editing chipset registers probably is too, but I don't know how off hand. cpufreq allows cpu frequency scaling under linux, and I've heard of it working on desktop boards. I use it on my laptop to save battery power. You should look into it.

I also heard that superlocked cpus cannot unlock the extra cache.

Interesting....

If I want to use either of those two apps, do I still also need to find a way to modify the Northbridge register(s)?

I only mentioned one app (cpufreq), which is actually a set of kernel patches/drivers to support cpu frequency and voltage scaling. It includes a powernow(K7) driver. I have not used it on a desktop board before, so I don''t know what that entails. You may want to start with just giving it a try out of the box and seeing if you can scale cpu speed. If not, try doing the modto make the cpu think it's a mobile. If that doesn't work, then try to find a way to edit NB registers. When you've got it workingto scale down the freqs, then cut the bridges to allow higher multis.

cpufreq just provides drivers and an interface for cpu frequency scaling. You have to either set the speed yourself or use a userspace utility to provide dynamic scaling. You used to be able to get patches for the stock 2.4 kernel for cpufreq, but I haven't seen those for a while. I believe it is included in the 2.6 kernel (I know it is included in the mm patchset).

Back