• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I install a cpu heatsink onto my video card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Methodx

I have a stock p4 heatsink and fan that are just sitting there doing nothing, so I'd like to install them onto my radeon 9800 pro.

How do you guys get these big heatsinks on the video card? Glue or what!?

Thanks

Before you start, make sure the HSF will fit by measuring or at least eyeballing it, and try to give some clearance to allow the card to fit in the AGP slot AND clear any tall capacitors that may be below the AGP slot.

I installed a retail 2400+ heatsink on my 9700 pro. I pried/twisted off the stock unit, cleaned everything up and very carefully applied AS3. (I'd recommend Arctic Alumina though unless you are incredibly careful), there's virtually no performance difference.

There was a shim around the GPU, so I applied superglue to that and then placed the HSF and held light pressure to it for several minutes. This works fin as long as the shim is not taller than the gpu surface.

I lost the use of 2 PCI slots to this mod.

I took a old pentium heatsink, took of the heatsink of the card, then I just put the heatsink on, flipped the card and maked 2 dots, and fixed 2 holes where I did the dot´s.
took the org "pins" and put it on the video card...

very simple and works fine, oc 40mhz more now...
+as3

Ah sweet, thanks for the help. I've already got some as5, so I think I will just use that.

Disney, are you saying you actually cut two new holes in your video card?

Also, is super glue really strong enough to hold that big, heavy heatsink on there? What if I move my case around a lot like to LAN parties and stuff. Do you think it would hold?

Thanks for the help, guys.

Methodx said:

Disney, are you saying you actually cut two new holes in your video card?

NO.

You would use the two holes already in your card that are keeping the current heatsink attached. It's semi-tricky buisness but not to be taken lightly. Key points are actually getting the holes lined up right and making sure the hole does not require screws larger than the holes already in the video card to fill it. Anouther huge point is removal of the spacer or milling the heatsink to fit, you have a choice of the two in most cases. You must also decide if you're going to use a compression tensioner on the screws or just go by "feel", also some non-conductive protection between the screw (or whatever you use as a tensioner) and PCB is needed.

I was lucky enough to know a mill operator with sticky fingers, we did a faux attachment to the card with a few large zipties and some masking tape, center punched the holes with the correct punch for the hole in the card, drilled and then tapped the heatsink. Instead of using a compression spring I used some neoprene backed washers to both protect the PCB, be non-conductive and help even the pressure across the two screws.

I meant when I flipped the card, I used a marker and made 2 dots thru the holes onto the heatsink..

then took the heatsink in to my garage and drill the holes, can take photos if you did´t understand what I hade done :)

OH, ok thanks. No need for pics, I've got it now. That's a good idea...I have a buddy that works in the University of Texas machining shop here.

I think I might try some super glue for now, and drill some holes later on.

Thanks for the help, I'll let you know if it turns out.

Bah, well the p4 heatsink is too big to fit on my radeon 9800 pro when it's plugged in to the mobo. I'll have my buddy chop about 1/4 of it off and should be good to go. It'll be another week before that happens though.

Can't wait!

ok...i have a question if i wanted to drill thru a heatsink with HSS (high-speed steel) bits, would that be possible? and what would i use to mount it, i have used arctic alumina adhesive, but i want something like a screw and bolt or something or zip-ties

hss? it whas rather easy to drill throw my alu heatsink, but copper will be harder....

can take a pic of my fix if you want? used the org. plastic "stuff" or what they are called and just as3

edit: used a "std drill" and my own arms :)

Back