• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bfg and chaintech

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bananablack

Registered
this smells kind of fishy to me. on my bfg 5900 i just discovered that the bios is chaintech. shouldn't my original bios be bfg? is it possible to buy an oem card with the wrong bios? could this be a scam?

there's a thread somewhere on anand or something about people RMAing cards that failed to flash to 5950. chances are thats what you've got -- a card that was RMA'd after the previous owner couldn't flash it to whatever they chose..

which is mainly the reason that I'm not flashing mine

i taked to bfg this morning. they are going to send me a new card. they also said the price i paid for the card was a little too low(175.00). they knew something was wrong when i told them it didn't come in a box. but it had all the extra's of a retail box version. ill never buy from xtreme gear again. oh by the way i checked in 3dmark. and my clockcore is only registering 300 mhz.

don't worry, that's just the 2D clock speed. the 3D clock speed is 400 mhz

the new nvidia cards are set to automatically function at a certain clock speed for 2D apps, since it's not necessary to function higher and heat up the card for something thats relatively easy

anyway did the BFG guy say that they're getting a lot of problems like yours?

yes they are getting the problem. he said people are flashing them to 5950u and not liking the result. he also said that the retailers resell the cards to prevent a loss. he also said they should not issue rma's for flashed cards. but since the warranty is voided the try to make their money back from unsuspecting buyers. thanks to this forum i was aware and corrected the issue

i recieved my new card from bfg today. they sent me a 5900u in place of my 5900. it works great. ill never buy from that company that sent me the rma'ed card again.

damn I'm jealous they didn't send me an ultra!!!!!!!!!!! maybe I should break it and RMA again LOL jk

Back