• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help on psu decision

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xiph

Hello, i wanted to ask some of the seasoned people here for their opinions on a power supply for my system. I most likely won't be overclocking anything except the video card (c'mon, flashing a 5900nu to a 5950u and getting cooler rocks^^) so i am going to need a new psu, most likely. my system:
Current: 2x512 PC2100 Have:<2x 512 Kingston PC3200 ram>
Current: GF4 mx440 Have:<BFG Asylum 5900nu (flashed to 5950u)>
AMD 2500+ (Barton)
Audigy 2 (normal)
DFI NFII ULTRA-AL
2x HD 200GB|HITC 7200R 8MB (Hitachi 200gig 8mb buffer)
Sony 48/24/48 CD-Writer
PIONEER DVD-RW/+RW Drive
As well as 6 Case fans, 1 PCI Exhaust fan, 2 Cathodes.
Right now i am running on an Antec 300w, with the Rails being pretty good (11.96, 3.27, forgot the last one, but well within the +-5%)

Question: SHould i upgrade my PSU ?
Question 2: should i get a 400w, or just drop the ball and get 480TruePower or 530 Fortron ?

530 Fortron is a great psu, the true power is also a very good PSU, Personally Im a little biased towards the Fortron, then again I just bought one and really like to.

"Right now i am running on an Antec 300w, with the Rails being pretty good (11.96, 3.27, forgot the last one, but well within the +-5%)

Question: SHould i upgrade my PSU ?
Question 2: should i get a 400w, or just drop the ball and get 480TruePower or 530 Fortron ?"

That 300w PSU would likely be OK. But if you plan to upgrade
to a more demanding system in the not to distant future
you'd do very well to get the Fortron 530w.

Admitedly, I'm a bit biased toward the Fortron too.
They are great for the price though.

Best of luck! :)

Ok, thank you, i was getting kinda worried to swap in the new video card and ram, as everyone i know says that i am most likely over loading it, (although they couldn't figure out how to flash their 5900nu -_-) I'll go look at the prices between the Fortron and the PC Cooling. Thank you for all your help !!

scanido said:
Fortron 530w if your on a budget, but if you want to go for something more robust than i recommend the PC Power & Cooling Turbocool 425w. Even at its rated 425w it'll out perform the Fortron.

Got the PC Power & Cooling turbocool 510ATX, and one thing I noticed over the EnerMax 465 and the ThermalTake Butterfly is that there is a LOT more heat generated out of the rear fan at idle speeds.
Looking in MBM the PC Power & Cooling sits steady at 11.80 volts on teh 12 volt line, the ThermalTake Butterfly is 11.92 steady. I've still gotta get the volt meter out and verify those figures.

Back