• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can i RAID 0 with two different drives?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tazon

can i do a RAID 0 with a WD800JB and a Maxtor diamondmax 9 80gb? or they have to be the exact same drive?

I blieve that they must be the exact same drives in order to run a RAID Array.....BUT....You should give it a try and see what happens!...Let us know please!

RAID = Redundant Array of Inexpensive Drives.

In theory, you can throw a bunch of drives (any drives) on a RAID controller and set it up.

In reality, they should be similiar in performance for some RAID setups to get expected results. RAID 0 is the only configuration that doesn't really fit into the RAID definition since there's no redundancy unless you setup RAID 0+1.

However, you should be fine running those 2 drives in a RAID.

-Bobby

You can run different size and speed drives in a RAID configuration. However, the performance will be limited to the smallest and slowest drive.

RAID = Redundant Array of Inexpensive Drives.

I'm going to assume the above was a joke, so I'll add the real acronym in case anyone doesn't know.

(R)edundant (A)rrany of (I)ndepedant (D)isks.

Those two drives you mentioned are close enough in performance that they'll deliver expected results in a Raid0 array.

I've been working on servers since '92 so no, that was not a joke. Actually, it started as "Inexpensive" back when RAIDs were only implemented in servers. I didn't know they changed the acronym. That's the first time I've heard "Independent".

Doing a quick google, Inexpensive is used more but Anandtech uses Independent.

In case anyone doesn't know.

-Bobby

By the way you can use different SIZE disks as well like a 30 and 20 gig ..the raid will show a total of 40 gigs costing ya 10 gigs but oh well

Bobby said:
I've been working on servers since '92 so no, that was not a joke. Actually, it started as "Inexpensive" back when RAIDs were only implemented in servers. I didn't know they changed the acronym. That's the first time I've heard "Independent".

Good to know. I did a search different websites do use either acronym. To each their own.

I dont think two different companie drives will work nicely together, you can do it. I did my raid0 with one 40gig and one 60gig wdc drives, they pretty nice.

adelphia83 said:
Good to know. I did a search different websites do use either acronym. To each their own.
I always went with "independent", myself, and that's the way I learned it in the military. It's one of those unnecessarily confusing acronyms.

Did you hear the one for PCMCIA? People Can't Memorize Computer Industry Acronyms.

Back