• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I think I am the target of a Paypal scam?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

krag

Classifieds Moderator
I just got this e-mail this morning from my supposed Paypal account login. This is asking me to update my account information....BUT...."However, failure to update your records will result in account suspension."

What? I am confirmed and in good standing. I actually used it yesterday to buy a 80 tec and 2 hard drives from a bro in the classifieds with no problems. I did how ever cancell my credit card on it about 3 weeks ago and the only account on it now is my checking account.

This seems a bit fishy to me!?:-/ :-/ :temper: Why would paypal suspend me all of a sudden?

The address of origin looks fairly official [email protected]

Here is a screenshot of the suspect e-mail:

Attachments

• papal scam.jpg
    papal scam.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 130
krag said:

aahhhhhh! I clicked on the link to see where it would take me! But I got a white error page. did I just hose myslef? Is that part of the scam? Or.......

Nah, your ok, thats probably because Paypal had taken steps to shut down that scumbag, thats why you got a dead end. Had you made it to the Spoofed page you would have seen a screen asking for your Bank account numbers, address, asking for passwords etc.....:rolleyes:

Silversinksam said:

Nah, your ok, thats probably because Paypal had taken steps to shut down that scumbag, thats why you got a dead end. Had you made it to the Spoofed page you would have seen a screen asking for your Bank account numbers, address, asking for passwords etc.....:rolleyes:

Wheeeeewww!!:clap:

I just got a reply from the paypal spoof dept. I quickly read the link from the thread that spool posted adn proptly shot it to them. They were really quick to reply.

Here is what they said:

Attachments

• paypal reply.jpg
    paypal reply.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 106
Krag,
You're OK! Sam's right (as Usual:D). PayPal probably has shut them down.
What you have to worry about is gettingb that next page, & sending out any personal info. I've received sesveral of these Scam emails also. I've posted some screen shots of that info request page HERE. (scroll down some)
It DOES look really Official, but ii's still a scam.
Good catch, krag!
-Dave

The easiest way to tell that the link does not go to anywhere official is if you move the mouse cursor overtop of the link then in the bar at the bottom it shows where the link really takes you, and it is a long page name that has all sorts of strange things. Then if you would have clicked the link it would ask you all of that info, but not even be a secure connection. The thing that really gave it away for me when I first got one of those is the fact that I didn't have a paypal account so I KNEW it was a scam lol

Back