• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Effects of o/c

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Toonarmy

Ello, i am pretty new to this overclocking stuff, but i have a celeron 600 and gigabyte 6XBC m/b and was amazed to read that someone had o/c'd their celery 600 on the same board to 900+ and it was stable.

i have never really been bothered about overclocking due to the fact that i aint got money to burn to go buying a cpu if it gets burned out, but now the celeries are so cheap it isn't as much of a concern.

i am just wondering how much of an effect o/c'ing has on the lifespan of a cpu by going upto 75, 83 & 100+mhz respectively, and also when the need for more than just air cooling comes into play. today i decided to start o/c'ing this celery and i nudged the fsb upto 75mhz (675mhz). Worked fine in counter-strike for a few hours no probs at all. left the machine on and just came back to it (bout 3 hours later) to find a windows protection error had just occured.

hope someone replies to this with some thoughts and takes the time to realise that i am a bit of an o/c'ing newbie

cheers

yep... I think that's heat related when you got the Windows protection error.. Did you get that when you restart the PC?.. I assume you have stock HSF for that Celery. As obvious, Celeries need good care in cooling in order to overclock and maintain stability. Take your case sides open and take a big house hold fan and blow at it until you get yourself a better HSF. good luck!

I firmly believe that cooling is the key to overclocking longevity. Yes, overclocking creates heat due to more stress on components, higher FSB speeds, and higher CPU voltages. But, if you can keep your computer system cool, then it will live long and prosper. That Celeron 600 is a nice chip. Invest a little in a good CPU cooler like an Alpha or a GlobalWin, plus a couple case fans...then overclock that sucker. If you can reach 100 FSB, then the PCI bus will be in spec with a 1/3 divider (if your motherboard supports this option). Good luck.

Cpu life span can be cut to 50% or less.
Intel cpu lifespan is considered 10 years.
You need more than air cooling when you cant get a cpu stable due to tempurature with a very good heatsink and fan.
When you overclock the cpu you are usually overclocking everything else in the pc.
Sometimes this will cause windows protection errors.
The cpu getting too hot or just not being able to handle overclocking will also cause this.
Memory is a another possibility.
What type of motherboard are you using?
What type and speed of memory?
Are you still using the stock heatsink and fan?

naah, i restarted it and its fine again

like i say seemed fine while i was playing counter-strike for a few hours after o/c in the first place just came up with the error after it'd been left idle for a while. has a standard hsf and the sides are never on my pc as i am always messin around in them. A prob i have is that the 6BXC doesn't have temp gauge on it which is my main concern. I am not bothered about breaking the 1ghz barrier with this cpu, 750 is my aim for the moment which seems easy enough from what i've been reading but i would appreciate some thoughts on what i would need to do to keep the cpu cooled enough with some idea's on coolers etc

cheers

2 posts while typing the above lol

giga 6XBC m/b
pc133 RAM (not sure of make)
agp Geforce 2 MX

Excess heat murders processors. If you take pains to run your CPU as cooly as you can, it'll last longer. As to specific HSF's... The Alpha PEP-66 is designed to hang on a Slocket. Can't go wrong with one.

yeah the pep66 is good, I am looking for a heatsink to get for my computer, had a fop 38, but i broke a different one for my other computer and had to use the one I got for my celey on the duron. Just as well, I am glad I don't have to listen to that delta. I am doing well on my stock hsf, and if I cut my cpu life span from 10 years to eight, thats fine with me, I hope I have moved beyond this by then.

Back