• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mcse, a+, cisco, all of the above???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

poMONKey

mcse. a+. cisco. all of the above???

i wanna move from front end to back end...

i know alot about hardware and software and networking ( sort of ) and OS install + config... but im not certified. whats the best route ( if there is one )?

tia

I don't have any certs either but I did do some researching on this awhile back.
Basically a+ is basic and is a given. Costs $400 to take both parts I think.
MCSE has become somewhat of a gotta have to everyone. So its really popular. I think $1200 to take.
Cisco is good to have and I don't know how mch it costs.
Don't get too many certs or else you will be over certified and won't get hired. From what I gathered all a cert will do is give you a possible edge over someone else when it comes to hiring. (they can look good on a resume) You are supposed to make more money as well, but alot of employers argue the validity of using a test to determine that you are a master of w/e. In hiring as everyone else says experience is the best thing you can have.
Hope that helps

Re: mcse. a+. cisco. all of the above???

poMONKey said:
i wanna move from front end to back end...

i know alot about hardware and software and networking ( sort of ) and OS install + config... but im not certified. whats the best route ( if there is one )?

tia

BTW WEEN is the greatest band in the world! :attn:

Well I did the MCSE back in 98 and the Cisco stuff in 00' and 01'. Some people will tell you that certs don't mean anything but I disagree.

Some generalities. MCSE = easy with non realistic questions centered around answers being the one that reward M$oft the most. The tests were 100 bucks a test when I took them.

Cisco = Hard. More science, reality based questions. Tests were from 100 bucks to 150 bucks when I took them.

I learned a lot more from Cisco.

I am great at teaching myself that is why I stayed away from a CS degree and went with Liberal Arts. Things have worked out better for me this way. Got in the door with no certs and used them to jump from better job to better job in the late 90's.

Unless you work for a company that uses technology to make money, IMHO a CS degree my hurt you more than help....

If you work for a company that is inventing technology, well then a legit degree will help.

Back