• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

questions on termalright heatsink for amd

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brian Williams

Registered
Looking into the SP-97 for an xp 2500.
Who has a good price on them?
does it come with a fan?
If not what is available for it.
does it come with mounting hardware for a fan?
Plan to OC, what fan is good. Would like one with leds or uv sensitive.

to the which fan is good question, thats opion mainly if you want pure performance and dont care about the noise go with a vantec tornado, if you want quiet get a panaflow. It depends on the dealer if it comes with a fan, most dont. I would recommend you get it from newegg, simply because I have yet to have a problem with them so here is a link. http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...-109-113&catalog=62&manufactory=BROWSE&depa=0

You can look at the SP-97 at www.thermalright.com ..The best price on it is in the link.They have the fans and thermal compound there too.:cool:

SP-97 Installation for AMD

Part Description****Quantity

Stainless steel standoffs = 5
Spring-loaded screws = 5
Plastic washers (large) = 5
Plastic washers (small) = 5
Metal washers = 5
80 mm fan wire clips = 2
90/92 mm fan wire clips = 2
Plastic Protective sheet AMD = 1
X-Plate = 1
Heatsink Body = 1

:) SP-97 HS LINK

www.jab-tech.com is a great site, they have the HS for $51 (46+5 shipping), however the shipping isnt charged per item, its by the box, so you can order some other misc small things (e.g. fan, thermal paste) that will fit in the box and the shipping will hardly increase.

guys, what fan can you recommend. I would like to have an adjustable one. i do not have a fan controller at the moment. I would also like a little bling instead of a big black Blah in a see through case.

Brian Williams said:
guys, what fan can you recommend. I would like to have an adjustable one. i do not have a fan controller at the moment. I would also like a little bling instead of a big black Blah in a see through case.

Here is what you are looking for. These guys was slow on shipping to me but I did get it in a week and a half.
http://www.coolbidnow.com/thdcfansesmc1.html

Brian Williams said:

92mm Vantec Tornado

7 volt mod w/switch

I run a SLK-900A with this setup. The fan runs pretty quite at 7v's and just flip the switch to have it run at full speed when needed.

Something to add to the bling...if you dont have any...grab a dual UV cath setup and then paint the fan grill with a UV paint and if you trust yourself and the paint...paint the tips of the fan.

svc.com sells the UV kits for like 6.99 or so and also the UV paint. and the cost of the switch is 5.00 or so, at your local electronics store. So for a cost of 40.00 or so, you could have yourself a nice little UV setup with a nice original designed UV fan with some serious air cooling when needed without the cost or need for a fan controller unit.

Oh yea, don't use that crap compound that comes with it with whatever fan you buy...get some AS5...worth the 6.00...

Last edited:
I've just installed the SP-97 on an ASUS A7N8X-X and it was pretty painless. The only thing I would suggest is to be careful when installing the spring-loaded screws near the heatpipes; it's a pretty tight fit. I am using a TT 9025A 90x90x25 (5600CFM) and it's not really that loud. The fans in my Antec TrueControl 550W PSU drown out everything else ;)

glock19owner said:
Oh yea, don't use that crap compound that comes with it with whatever fan you buy...get some AS5...worth the 6.00...
Really?
I used the compound that came with my SP-97. You think I should go out and get some AS5?

glock19owner said:

92mm Vantec Tornado

7 volt mod w/switch

I run a SLK-900A with this setup. The fan runs pretty quite at 7v's and just flip the switch to have it run at full speed when needed.

Something to add to the bling...if you dont have any...grab a dual UV cath setup and then paint the fan grill with a UV paint and if you trust yourself and the paint...paint the tips of the fan.

svc.com sells the UV kits for like 6.99 or so and also the UV paint. and the cost of the switch is 5.00 or so, at your local electronics store. So for a cost of 40.00 or so, you could have yourself a nice little UV setup with a nice original designed UV fan with some serious air cooling when needed without the cost or need for a fan controller unit.

The compound that comes with the thermalright? the arctic silver or something like that?
Looks like i am going with this fan
http://www.xoxide.com/smartfan.html

The thermal compound that comes with it is generic compound...not anywhere close to being near AS5 performance...or any AS product for that matter...

Good choice sp97, as5, and panaflow 92mm fan........my temps are 33 idle 37 load with 2500 at 200x11

tt2 good fan for tha bling bling but to noisy for my taste

GL

BalliN

Back