• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ISA IDE controller needed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

E_tron

i managed to find my first computer stashed away in the attic. It is a custom built machine featuring a Socket 3 AMD Am486 DX4-100 processor, 16MB of EDO SIMM memory(now upgraded to 128MB), and some video card that supports 8-bit color.

Sadly, the VESA IDE controller that came with the machine only supports hard drives up to 2GB in size. Does anyone know a website that sells unearthed electronic antiques? I need a ISA IDE controller that will support up to at least 32GB'ish.

Could i possibly partition a 6Gb H Drive with only 2GB and get it to detect correctly? From what i understand, these storage limits are in relation to the number of cylinders on the drive. If i could limit the number of cylinders of a 6GB, maybe the VESA IDE controller will detect it as a valid drive.

for the price and effort to find and buy the card you would need, you could prolly get a free pentium 1 system that will kick the crap out of that 486

Back