• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4 x 256Mb vs. 2 x 512Mb

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sneaker

Registered
i currently have 2 sticks of 256Mb RAM and want to upgrade to a gig.

i've heard that 256Mb modules are faster then 512Mb ones, but i've also heard that using all 4 slots can complicate things.

performance wise is it better to use 2 sticks of 512 or is 4 sticks of 256 also good?

from what many of the guys here at OCForums have been tellin me... if you have less mem sticks.. you may potentially overclock better, for there being a lesser chance of a stick that isnt as good.

but me.. i have 2x512 sticks for my gig... i think someone else may be able to clarify this or make any further amendments to it...

the sticks with less memory are faster because they dont have as many chips. (Less chips= less chance of a weak chip hurting the whole stick) If your using 4x256 that will be the same amount of chips as 2x512, but it will have other problems because it will put alot of stress on the memory controller. (4 sticks = twice as much to do)

You will lose PAT, and not be able to overclock as high.

Use the 2 512 sticks, they will overclock better as there is less stress on the memory controller.

thanks .. RMA'ing my Geil memory while i still can seems like the best thing to do.

..i think i'll get the Mushkin 2x512Mb PC3500 2-3-3 Level One Dual Pack. can't go wrong with Mushkin (-:

Back