• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another question about cooling the mosfets ..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheTick

This time from an ASUS guy, not your typical Abit guy. When I start to get high in the fsb's, and mhz ( over 200 and over 2.2) Those little guys get hot. Now, I dont have access to a dremel, or any other crazy tools like that. Are the BGA tweakmonster ramsinks too big for them?

Does anybody make anything specifically for them (mosfets?) Thx guys, I feel its one more thing holding me back from getting any higher(I havent done any volt mods yet)
Thx

check sidewindercomputers... microcool makes mofset heatsinks... i think the tweakmonsters will be a little large.

stan03 said:
check sidewindercomputers... microcool makes mofset heatsinks... i think the tweakmonsters will be a little large.

BUMP...mircrocool mosfet heatsinks are what I use and they work well. You could just make your own though with an old heatsink.

macz28 said:
Now, I dont have access to a dremel, or any other crazy tools like that. [/B]

I have a thermaltake copper heatsink for an Opteron, but I neither have an Opteron, or tools to cut it up. So Im going to be looking into something I can buy.
Thanks stan, I will check them out, I just bought my BGA tweaks from them.

veyx said:

BUMP...mircrocool mosfet heatsinks are what I use and they work well. You could just make your own though with an old heatsink.

The mainly advantage of Microcool ChipSinK is the Chomerics thermal attach, so you don't have to use epoxy glue.

Ill probably just use some more of the arctic silver thermal adhesive, it did wonders for my ramsinks on my vid card.

One advantage of the tweakmonster sinks is that they are copper. They are oversized for mosfet cooling, and not cheap, but I do think they will perform best if you saw them to size. On such a small piece, you could do fine with a handsaw.

Are the mosfets more important or are the plls? Ive always thought the plls is what got hot w/ high fsb.

FIZZ3 said:
One advantage of the tweakmonster sinks is that they are copper. They are oversized for mosfet cooling, and not cheap, but I do think they will perform best if you saw them to size. On such a small piece, you could do fine with a handsaw.

Personally I don't think copper would be that much of an advantage on the mosfets.

well since youre gonna do this on an asus board like i want to, on the p4p800-p4c800 boards the mosfets are tiny so i think you will have to make some custom ones to get them to fit.
im probably gonna chop up a heatsink one my dad sends me the darn battery powered dremel ive been asking for since the begining of the year(he is in the us and i cant get a dremel in Hong Kong)

These are what I used. Shipping is pretty cheap from these guys as well. And if you have any sort of hack saw and a clamping device you can cut them in half for the tight spots. I used a dremel :).

Alright new question, I have a DFI now, does anyone know where you can get the little heatsinks for the tiny mosfets, the ones on my board are very small. Thx

"And if you have any sort of hack saw and a clamping device you can cut them in half for the tight spots. I used a dremel ."

Death, I bought those XL ramsinks after you showed me the link two weeks ago. I had no saw or dremmel, so I drilled 4 holes through the center of each one and broke them in half, lol. They are a bit jagged on the edge, but still work great :D Two full size fit perfect on the southbridge, 4 on my 9800 pro ram, and 3 full size run diagnally bridged over the 6 mosfets. Cooled all my components for $8.

Back