• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stable & SAFE - ATI 9800pro Speeds?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Nothing is safer than stock.
When you think about it...do you really need to overclock a 9800pro?
Want is a completely different issue.

:)

sLk said:
Nothing is safer than stock.
When you think about it...do you really need to overclock a 9800pro?
Want is a completely different issue.

:)

Yeh well when your system itself is all that hot, any extra juice helps. My 9800p is stable right now at 392/351 using Radlinker.

My 9800Pro is stable at 405/380, i can push the gpu higher but i start to get artifacts after about an hour or so in UT2004 demo.

Well my 3DMark03 sucks...right now @ 3500-4500 range.

I think that is low for your system specs.

@ stock i was getting 5400 and with o/cing 6100 in 3dMark03.

Are u using the stock cooler on the 9800Pro ?

oo_7

I've had my (built by ati) radeon 9800 pro @ 440 core / 365 ram for a few days with no artifacts. It has exited out of games due to errors. The errors happened approximately once every three to four hours of straight playing time. There is a thermaltake Giant II installed on the card, with 80 mm fans on the top, bottom and on the side (installed in the side panel of the case), plus I have excellent case airflow.

I wouldn't even attempt to overclock the core or ram by 1 mhz with the stock cooler. They run VERY hot with that dinky thing.

erics1one,

I don't think the clock settings on your video card will help your situation.
Increasing the clock may just increase your woes.
Try re-instaling your driver using these steps:

1. Download and install Driver Cleaner.
2. Uninstall you current driver/control panel/Hydravision, etc.
3. Re-boot.
4. Run Driver Cleaner and remove any bits of ATI/Nvidia display driver files remaining.
5. Re-install the current drivers/control panel/Hydravision, etc of your choice.
6. Install DX9b and any monitor driver that you may require.
7. Re-boot.

Double check the settings in your bios as well.

I had some skipping/jumping/hiccups when I intially installed my 9800pro. I had a FX5600 before that and a R9600 before that card.
I am using the same driver as you (Omega) and scoring 17,500ish on 3dMark01 and 7,000ish on 3dMark03 with the default clock settings.

sLk said:
... and 7,000ish on 3dMark03 with the default clock settings.

That's a typo right? If not, please explain how to achieve a score that high on an nforce2 system with a 9800 Pro.

erics1one said:
And I also disabled my OSD for MBM5 and lengthened its freq to 30sec. I thought that it updateing might have been the hiccup cause. I dont think its there anymore in 3Dmark03.

You should NOT have any app's running when you benchmark a system. No anti-virus, no ATi/Omega control panel crap, no nuthin. MBM5 included. You need to close all of those programs completely and set all of your video card settings to lowest quality to maximize your score. Also if your refresh rate is to high like 120-150Hz for your monitor that can impact your score. Set it to 60Hz for the benching.

Back