• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help making a choise... !!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Albreck

Need HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1st option
GIGABYTE nVIDIA GeForce FX5700 ULTRA Video Card, 128MB DDRII
Chipset/Core Speed: nVIDIA GeForce FX5700ULTRA/475MHz
Memory/Effective Speed: 128MB DDRII/900MHz

2nd option
ASUS Radeon 9600XT/TVD 128MB DDR Video Card, AGP8X
Frequency Core 500MHz
Frequency Memory 650MHz (325MHz DDR)

3rd otion
PowerColor Radeon 9600 PRO 256MB Video Card, AGP8x
Core Speed 400MHz
Memory Speed 200MHzx2 (400MHz DDR)

all recommendations are well recived.... :D

The 9600xt and 5700Ultra run neck and neck, with the ATI having a slight visual advantage. The 5700U might have just a slight speed advantage, but not by much and it evens out in variety of test that are given.

Seeing that everyone is complaining about how bad the nvidia card performs in Halo, you might want to consider ATI. I'm a nvidia homer, so you know what my choice would be.;)

Too bad you can't get a Gainward 5700U gold sample, that would kick ***! But only as a 5700U, not that it would beat a 5900.

:p

after some search for the Gainward 5700U gold sample, I think that's gonna be my 1st option then the giga byte the 2nd one and the asus 9600xt the 3rd one... jejeje :D

you might want to consider saving up a few more bucks and grab a 9700 pro(if you can still find one), 9800 np or pro(newegg is selling them for around 220) or a 5900 nu, they will give you quite a bit of a performance boost over any of those cards and are just a few more dollars. But if you cant spare the money I would go for the 9600 xt personally, it will give you better performance in all areas over the regular 9600 pro and will out perform the 5700 ultra in dx 9 applications.

Don't get the FX5700...the FX5900 non-Ultra is a far better card, and about the same price....

Or if you want to go the ATI route...

CompUSA is selling Retail Built By ATI R9800PRO's for $199 (after $70 at the register rebate and $30 mail in rebate)

R9800P is FAR, FAR better then any of the crads you're looking at, and only a few bucks more:)

Albreck said:
after some search for the Gainward 5700U gold sample, I think that's gonna be my 1st option then the giga byte the 2nd one and the asus 9600xt the 3rd one... jejeje :D

Hehe!

You seen what I seen, what a card.

The only thing about it is, that the 5900's are so cheap. Unless you find the Gainward selling cheaper, you might just opt for the 5900.

I always see people saying "add a few dollars more and get the next best thing". Hell, in that case. That works with anything you buy, look at the price difference between CPU's?

Get what you want, and feel good about it.

I see threads about people/person wanting to go back to a 5600U (which can't hang with a Gainward 5700U), from having a 9800PRO!

I can tell you this bro, I would be more than happy with a Gainward 5700U Gold sample or 5900, more than I would with a 9600xt. But, a lot of that has to do with the many driver and instability issues I had with ATI over the years. Things do change, but it left a sour taste in my mouth that's still there.

You seem to be leaning towards the 5700U, you should follow that thought. You will have the card, not us.

If you get that 9600xt and is not happy, it will be a everlasting unhappiness that could really tear you apart. OK, that was a bit much. But I think you see where I'm going with this, get you r first choice.;)

http://www.hardavenue.com/reviews/xpert9600xt5700u1.shtml

Last edited:
i have the 9600xt and it pwns the 5700u ive tested both get the 9800pro on newegg for 220 bux shipped (powercolor)

Seeing that everyone is complaining about how bad the nvidia card performs in Halo
? I haven't heard anything about that and I am running a GeForce 3 (no TI stuff) overclocked at 1024x768 all settings maxed and I get 35+FPS in any Halo map, offline or online.

Back