• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

10BaseT Router/Switch WAN to LAN speed question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Deagle

Registered
Ok, here's the deal: My cable connection is 10Mbps download. When I connect without the Linksys BEFSR41 router I get around 9Mbps which is realistic, however, when I connect through the router I get at most 6Mbps.

I've called Linksys tech support and they tell me I need to adjust the MTU value or reflash my firmware another 10 times in order to get that extra 3Mbps.

I've looked at other routers (which have more sophisticated firewalls) in the $150 to $200 range which advertise WAN to LAN throughput of 8Mbps.

Would a more sophisticated firewall slow down the transfer on these more expensive routers so that they're slower than a $50 Linksys?

Is my router malfunctioning or is 10Mbps just a connection rating which is not indicative of the actual transfer speed of the router from WAN to LAN?

My Gigabit NIC is set at default values with autodetect.

Back