• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for a 21inch flat screen CRT?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Check out ebay for one of the sun monitors with the sony GDM-F520 hardware. They are only ~170$ but they are identical to the 2000$ sony one, excapt for the brand name. (Mine is also missing the built in USB hub, but thats only like a 10-20$ thing)

Same as a sony except $1830 cheaper? There has got to be a catch. Was it refurbished or used?

I bought it used from some guy bought a whole bunch of them from sun. There was like 50 of them up there about 2 years ago. I have had no problems with it so far, and it works just fine using the GDM-F520 driver.

Check out ebay for one of the sun monitors with the sony GDM-F520 hardware.

Interesting, I saw a few Sun Monitors on Ebay that had Sony hardware in them, but not GDM-F520 hardware. I've seen a Sony GDM-F520 monitor before though and they look amazing. Know of any other place that would be selling them for that cheap? That is a STEAL

dell p1110, see many of those. I hear they are made with sony tubes. mines 21" trinitron flat display, .24 dot pitch :D

I have a 19 Inch KDS Flatscreen Monitor that is a FD Trinitron. Picked it up in 1999 or so. When I picked it up I noticed the 2 tiny lines too, but over time they aren't noticeable at all to me. The Dell P1110 monitors aren't to bad but I'm looking for one that is capable of 2048x1536 at least and decent refresh rate at that. If I can get my hands on a 21 Inch Sun Monitor that has the GDM-F520 hardware for $170 or hell even $300, I'd buy at least 4 of them Lol. Imagine BF1942 or CAD work one of those :drool:

good god why would you even want to run at 2048x1536... 1600x1200 is more than i'd wanna run... I dont even think BF 1942 supports anything that high and you'd be hard pressed to find more than 60-70 refresh rates...

good god why would you even want to run at 2048x1536... 1600x1200 is more than i'd wanna run... I dont even think BF 1942 supports anything that high and you'd be hard pressed to find more than 60-70 refresh rates...

BF1942 Runs at whatever your Monitor can Max out at. There are Monitors out there that can run 2048x1536@80HZ+. Philips, Viewsonic, NEC, Mitsubishi, Sony, Etc........Not exactly hard pressed. I've tried Resolutions on games higher then 1600x1200 and it looks much better in my personal Opinion. Here are some of the reasons I could think of why you would want an even higher Resolution then 1600x1200.

1. Graphics Editing
2. CAD Work
3. Program Multitasking
4. Gaming
5. Because You can!

I didint mean to insult you if thats what it came across as... But I'd never seen monitors with that high of resolution form any major brands like you listed and I agree with you about 1 and 2 and 5 and maybe 4. I can't tell you how good it looks since ive never had a monitor with that high of a resolution though.

tom10167 said:
Trinitron = Sony so yes, it's definitely a Sony tube. The only thing against Trinitron is those two grey lines, they don't drive me insane, but they can be a bit annoying.

After a few months you really don't notice them. At least I don't. If I look for them I will see them (like right now I can see them in this white reply box). Just imagine buying the most fine string you can possibly obtain and running it across your screen. You might notice it at first, but it disappears from your mind after a lot of use. But they are virtually non-existant on anything-but-white backgrounds. I would definately get a trinitron again. Brilliant colors and magnificant brightness. No other tube can compete.... IMO...

diggingforgold said:

After a few months you really don't notice them. At least I don't. If I look for them I will see them (like right now I can see them in this white reply box). Just imagine buying the most fine string you can possibly obtain and running it across your screen. You might notice it at first, but it disappears from your mind after a lot of use. But they are virtually non-existant on anything-but-white backgrounds. I would definately get a trinitron again. Brilliant colors and magnificant brightness. No other tube can compete.... IMO...

I had a Trinitron, two of them, it annoyed me, when I think of "good picture quality" I don't think of "frozen lines across the screen." I guess I'm just picky, I notice no difference between that monior any my cheap Mag Innovision.

Robrules18 no offense taken, I'm just joking around with you. There are quite a few monitors that are capable of doing that, but chances are your not going to find them at a Retail Electronic Store. Most of the one's I have seen that can are around $450-500+ at least. NEC/Mitsubushi Monitors have a few that look utterly amazing! I've tried BF1942 set at that resolution before and allows you to see a lot more. Turn on AA/AF and it is looking smooth and sharp! I would technically only buy the Monitor for Movies/Gaming really, Graphics editing on occasion. Number 5 says it all

5. Because You can!:attn:

Back