• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dual mp1200 vs dual duron 1.6??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AFIsoldier

which of those would be better in a dual system? i plan to game and do all the regular multi-tasking most of us do. If i get the durons, i plan to oc to 2.0ghz, would i be able to o/c the mps at all? do they oc well? compared to my current system, tell me what would show a greater improvement.

thats a tought pic there both have good prices. one thing is the mp1200 has the 256 L2 and the Duron only has a 64 L2.

only thing is im not sure how far the mp oc's to. ive seen some of those 1.6 duron's hit over 2GHz some have hit 2.4GHz to 2.7GHz

so its really up to do you want more L2 or raw MHz

i was goning to look the MP up in the overclocker's Databases but they have a T Bird 1.2 MP which is hitting 1437MHz to 1729MHz and a Average of 1561 MHz out of 10 CPU's

the one on newegg says its a Palomino core so im not sure if it oc's the same

so the durons are the way to go? i wassen't sure and there is a sale on a pair of mp1200s in the classifieds and i was gonna jump on those.

im pertty sure the duron's will give you a higher MHz. id look at the MP's but i cant get in there.

id let the thread go for a day or two before jumping to one maybe someone here will post about the mp1200 and if there good or bad

AFIsoldier said:
so the durons are the way to go? i wassen't sure and there is a sale on a pair of mp1200s in the classifieds and i was gonna jump on those.

ummm, dual is NOT the way to go....

IF you get new Durons, you have to consider they will most likely be LOCKED, so with 150MHz FSB, the most you can hope is 1.8GHz. But Considering that the Duron's will have SSE and the 1200MP's do not, that might help, especially in F@H.

AFIsoldier said:
i plan to game and do all the regular multi-tasking most of us do.

dual processors will not help you here, most think dual processors will work together, or act like intel's HT technology but it will not. Unless the software, or games you are running is coded for multiple processors, it will infact, show you no performance gain.

Re: Re: dual mp1200 vs dual duron 1.6??

65stang said:

dual processors will not help you here, most think dual processors will work together, or act like intel's HT technology but it will not. Unless the software, or games you are running is coded for multiple processors, it will infact, show you no performance gain.

However it does help if you run more than one cpu intensive program at once, even if they are not SMP aware, and with Windows XP, you can set which thread runs on which cpu, so you can define an app to run on a certain CPU, and have another app run on the other, getting rid of a cpu bottleneck in cpu intensive apps if running more than one at a time.

Re: Re: Re: dual mp1200 vs dual duron 1.6??

JDXNC said:

However it does help if you run more than one cpu intensive program at once, even if they are not SMP aware, and with Windows XP, you can set which thread runs on which cpu, so you can define an app to run on a certain CPU, and have another app run on the other, getting rid of a cpu bottleneck in cpu intensive apps if running more than one at a time.

true, but look at the cpu's hes choosing, a nice 512k 2500+ is going to easily do the job of 2 1.2ghz durons....

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: dual mp1200 vs dual duron 1.6??

JDXNC said:

Look carefully, 1.2Ghz ATHLON MP's, or 1.6Ghz Duron's.

ok so figure 1.6ghz durons, 128k l2

thats 3.2ghz and 256k l2, 266mhz bus, lag because of dual processors interfacing

or a 2.2ghz 2500+ with 512k l2, 400mhz bus, less lag

the only time the 2500+ loses is in ghz, which if your going for performance, isnt going to matter when you look at this comparrison. plus, not to mention cost, single cpu boards are cheaper than mp boards.

i think i will...i want to go dual because you can't run kazaa and bf1952 at the same time on a single cpu(most times, wouldn't work on stock 2500+ with 512mbs ram) so if i go with 1gb ram, and dual durons, i will be able to do that and burn all the cds i want(no i am not making cds and selling them, i am constantly burning app. discs and things for my dad)
i guess duron it is then, votes are in :p and duron won..too bad for those MPs, but hey...it's what you guys think is better, you are the pros, right?

At least with the Duron's you get SSE and you might be able to make them into Tbred's :D

65stang what do you have against duallys? You sound like you are trying to keep someone from shooting smack. Maybe you just had a bad build experience or something. Not trying to flame but he is not asking to go dual or not. He has decided to go dual and is asking which processors to use.

Dual setups are not just for servers. I'll take a dual 1200 setup over a single 2500 ANYDAY just for the multitasking abilities alone. The stability of a dual cpu system has always been rock solid in every system I have ever used and am using now.

I have 9 gaming rigs in my home lan setup and 2 dual systems. I am in the process of converting ALL of my systems to dual during this year.

My personal advice is to go with the 1200 MPs.

why the 1200s? would i be happier with them? would they actually be faster?

these are the steppings i am looking at Both AGKGA 0138GPAW
Y6928980445/Y6928980433 they are the mps that luctawise is selling

Because they are out of the box MP and not modded chips. I am looking at the very same chips also!

are they unlocked? if so then do you think i could get 1.5ghz with them? or would i be better off speed/preformance wise if i get the durons?

Back