• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

This just CANNOT be real

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

squirtle632

I got a new MB and CPU combo.

Asus P4P800 Deluxe and a P4 2.8C

I installed the cpu using AS5 as per directions.

What follows just CANNOT be for real..........

Installed MBM5.... got temps from MB and CPU of 73°F CPU and 78°F for case at idle....... too good to be true. Ambient temp of room is 72°F

Went to work and borrowed someones $350 infrared laser thermometer.

Came home and used it on the WinBond chip inside the case by the memory slots ( labeled WinBond ). Temps within 2°F of reported temps in MBM5. Tried to get at CPU but to no avail. Closest I could get was the screw holding the Zalman 7000 AlCu to the fan assy. Within 2.5" of the screw which is only about 0.5" above the cpu chip.

This cannot be happening so I loaded up Prime95 in 2 sessions to get as close to 100% CPU usage as possible and I cannot get this thing to get higher than 102°F. With my TV card watching TV in background and typing this I am still at only 100°F CPU and 94°F case.

Downloaded Asus Probe v2.22.04 from Asus site and went to installit. On the first page of installation it gives you current CPU and MB temps. Both were EXACTLY the same as MBM5 reported!!

Anyone else have this concern? I am EXTREMELY grateful for the LOW temps but have always heard that Asus underreported temps by as much as 9°C/17°F on the LOW side. I just do not want to get "caught with my pants down" in the summer time without AC in the house.

Can anyone explain this? I thought it was not real until I checked with the infrared thermometer. This has an accuracy of + or - 1°F at 12" from source.

Please post here.......

Thank you

Sure that is F and not C? it's very good that you checked many sources but i just do not see how that can be right with the processor only 3 degrees F over ambient (unless you had phase change which you don't) i wouldnt trust the infered thermometer since you can't actually "shoot" the die itself. I'd like to hear some possible explinations on this also, quite interesting

Rich

seeing as that CPU doesnt look like its OCed, those temps sound about right, and ASUS's boards read from the diode, not the socket, so ur fine

Back