• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vapo tech advice needed please...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr B

Senior Admin Emeritus
Hi guys,

I've got a Vapo PE that I'm looking to get up and running. It's set up for a P4 (S478), and has the v1.x circuit board installed.

It's a used case, and everything is intact, albeit, used. The heating elements look to be ok, and most of the foam is intact and present.

My questions are these;

1) What can I use instead of the tube of goop Asetek supplied with the case new, for "heat conduction compound"? (That white goop they slather in the socket, and under the chip, etc...)

Is there something I can find locally that I can use in place of the Asetek stuff?

2) What is best for a thermal compound on the CPU core? AS3, AS-5, AS Ceramique, etc.... Is there something that works better, given the application (extreme cooling)?

3) I'm missing the little square piece of foam that should sit in the CPU socket (after putting the white goop in there). Any special type of material I should use when making a replacement for it?

4) What should I be concerned with when choosing a PSU for this setup?

5) I'd be using the Intel PC listed in my "sig" below. I'd like to by and large move it into the Vapo intact, as it runs now. Are there any known compatability issues with the Abit IC7 and the Vapo?

Thanks a ton in advance!!! :)

Brian

Mr B said:
Hi guys,

I've got a Vapo PE that I'm looking to get up and running. It's set up for a P4 (S478), and has the v1.x circuit board installed.

It's a used case, and everything is intact, albeit, used. The heating elements look to be ok, and most of the foam is intact and present.

My questions are these;

1) What can I use instead of the tube of goop Asetek supplied with the case new, for "heat conduction compound"? (That white goop they slather in the socket, and under the chip, etc...)

Is there something I can find locally that I can use in place of the Asetek stuff?

2) What is best for a thermal compound on the CPU core? AS3, AS-5, AS Ceramique, etc.... Is there something that works better, given the application (extreme cooling)?

3) I'm missing the little square piece of foam that should sit in the CPU socket (after putting the white goop in there). Any special type of material I should use when making a replacement for it?

5) I'd be using the Intel PC listed in my "sig" below. I'd like to by and large move it into the Vapo intact, as it runs now. Are there any known compatability issues with the Abit IC7 and the Vapo?

Brian

I am still on air and have not done any water or subzero yet, so I am less then a newbie, but I will try to help anways.

1.) I would assume you can use normal thermal compound

2.) Some of the best would probably be OCZ Ultra5+ or AS5

3.) You mean the square inside the socket that is not socketized? Unlike an Athlon FX mobo? You could just cut a little square of neoprene and use some silicone or something to hold in place. I think they should give you some silicone becuase that is what you use (I think) to seal the socket.

4.) PSU? The vapo does not run on the PSU does it? I am confused. Sorry, cannot answer that.

5.) Again, not sure, I dont think the motherboard has anything to do with the phasechange cooling, unless it plugs in somehow or if there is not enough room around the socket.

6.) whoops there is no 6.

Anyways, good luck!

Cheers!
-0cer
:cool:

Mr B said:
Hi guys,

My questions are these;

Brian
1. I use the termal compound that you can buy at Radio Shack.
2. I use the same stuff on the core and it works great.
3. Mine was used and did'nt come with it so I just used alot of thermal compound and filled it with that, or you can cut a piece of foam and insert it.
4. Without regass mod a 350w with about 24a. I was using a Enermax 350w and it worked fine. After the regass mod I bought a Enermax 550w.
5. Not sure but on my P4C800 Deluxe it doesnt suspend power. I basically fire it up then let it sit in the BIOS on the hardware screen and wait to boot until the BIOS reports below zero temps.

1)die electric grease is what you want, not thermal compound. Heat conduction would I think increase the risk of condensation.

2)I've heard arctic alumina is best, but not a big deal really. Preferably something that won't seperate (the silver and th eoil in AS3) But, once again, it isn't that big of deal.

3)Neoprene/alot of dielectric grease.

4)You will want a fairly powerful PSU I think, you could always use two though.

5)Not a clue, I'd just do as Big Nuttz suggested, and it should be fine.

wait........Di electric grease does not conuct electricity right? I thought it did. If it does, isn't that like smearing water on the motherboard?

Re answering number 1, I do beleive di-electric grease gets smeared IN the socket. For the rest of the socket sealing where you put stuff on the motherboard you use silicone I think and on the CPU die just any thermal compound you would normally use. That is what I thought. I could be wrong though.

Thanks for the input so far guys! I really appreciate it.

I got the Vapo from Joe C (front page), and e-mailed him asking Q# 1 and 2.

He seemed to think good ol' Vaseline might work. Any thoughts on this for #1 above?

#2 So AS-5 is ok? Or is there something better for this application?

#3 Neoprene. Got it. Great. ;) *checks off*

#4 If what Big Nuttz says is good, then I'm covered there, with one of the 420W's mentioned in "sig" below. (Actually, I've replaced both and have yet to update the "sig"...:rolleyes: ) *checks off*

#5 What I was thinking was along the lines of what Big Nuttz mentions.... I'll check Asetek's site. I thought while I was asking, I'd inquire, to see if anyone might have first hand knowledge that confirms/refutes what Asetek might have posted.

Thanks again for the input. Greatly appreciated!

B.

Mr B said:
Thanks for the input so far guys! I really appreciate it.

I got the Vapo from Joe C (front page), and e-mailed him asking Q# 1 and 2.

He seemed to think good ol' Vaseline might work. Any thoughts on this for #1 above?

#2 So AS-5 is ok? Or is there something better for this application?

#3 Neoprene. Got it. Great. ;) *checks off*

#4 If what Big Nuttz says is good, then I'm covered there, with one of the 420W's mentioned in "sig" below. (Actually, I've replaced both and have yet to update the "sig"...:rolleyes: ) *checks off*

#5 What I was thinking was along the lines of what Big Nuttz mentions.... I'll check Asetek's site. I thought while I was asking, I'd inquire, to see if anyone might have first hand knowledge that confirms/refutes what Asetek might have posted.

Thanks again for the input. Greatly appreciated!

B.
You could also hook up a power supply just for your vapo and run dual psu's.

Vaseline works fine and cheaper than di-grease. Also I used AS Ceramique for cpu. My first phase setup was a vapo pe, and I just used generous amounts of die electric, foam and no heaters, never had a problem with condensation.

Also on the hold temps, the rev 1 cc seemed to not work correctly. What I did was just remove the 12V connector from the board, fire up the vapo, let it get up to it's -10 or whatever I had it set to, shut it off, then plug the 12v connector back into the board(ic7max3) then fire it up again and it worked no problem. You can always go with 2 psu's instead if you don't like doing that. Also I was using a ttgi 550 for the vapo and the system, and never had any "voltage" problems.

Mr B said:
Hi guys,

My questions are these;

Brian

1. Any non-conductive white thermal goop will do. Radioshack does sell the generic kind in bulk for cheap.

2. Tests have shown that in extreme cooling conditions, AS Ceramique is a good performance leader.
Here is the review. Just make sure if the paste you're using is conductive, that you use it only on the cpu core.

3. Neoprene or closed-cell foam should work fine, basically if it's something the chilled-H20'ers would use than it's good enough for Vapo condensation prevention.

4. You're going to want a PSU with a hefty 12V line mainly b/c the Vapo runs off of it (6-8 amps worth), preferably a 400+ watt PSU with seperate voltage rails for the 3.3V, 5V, and 12V lines like the Antec TruePower series. Also, good protection circuitry is a must have. I have had an Enermax 431watt PSU fry up on me so I'm a bit biased against them.

5. You should check out the wonderful Asetek support forums, especially this thread describing the known compatibility issue between the Abit IC7 series and the ChillControl. Some say they have no compatiblity issues and many others say they do.

If your Ver 1.X Chill Control doesn't boot your system, I would suggest you get a Ver 2.x CC and do the IC7 wiremod as described in the above link. I have done this mod right from the start and it works like a charm. Taking the 4-pin AUX-12V connector and directly plugging it into the mobo, thus leaving the CC out of the loop, may have undesirable effects such as cpu overheat before the Vapo reached sub-zero boot temps.

If you venture to the Asetek forums, I'm NeoGeo there too. Feel free to ask any more questions that might pop up.

Re: Re: Vapo tech advice needed please...

NeoGeo said:

1. Any non-conductive white thermal goop will do. Radioshack does sell the generic kind in bulk for cheap.

~~~

If you venture to the Asetek forums, I'm NeoGeo there too. Feel free to ask any more questions that might pop up.

THANK YOU!!! :)

It might be a while before I can upgrade the 1.x CC to the v2.x board, but it's very good info to know there's possible issues to contend with...

If I ever get over there (Asetek Forums) I'll say hello. The last month has been kinda hellish... school almost every day, marital issues, etc... I've gotten way behind on a lot of things. The school sched. is going back to every other day starting today, so I can work on getting caught up (and start really looking for a job again).

This was the help I was hoping for....someone w/ an IC7 that's used it in a Vapo...first hand experience.

All the replies have been very helpful...this bit of info was the big piece of the puzzle. ;)

I'll do some reading over there...thanks for the link, and the reply. ;)

B.

Back