• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DH800 overclocking potential

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OC-NightHawk

Some people over at 2cpu have talked with iWill engineers and been told about the new board. The talk is iWill ran dual 2.8GHz 533FSB Xeons, possibly D1 steppings, at 3GHz 900FSB. :D The board specs are at the global page of iWill's website. At ~$350 USD it also comes with two PCI-X slots. However the PCI-X slots are no where near as fast as the DP533's PCI-X Slots. Small price to pay imo. :D

Are those PCI-X slots independant or on the same bus?

*If you notice, Xeon platforms just don't seem to generate much excitment at this forum. However, MPX platforms do.

Either way its only fair to give everybody the chance to at least see the board. I don't know if they are seperate buses for each slot, but I doubt it. They aren't even 100MHz, they are only 66MHz each. I'm guessing that's how they kept the overall cost down for the board. Its still the best overclocking xeon board and it has PCI-X. iWill must be listening to us minorities of customers on this one.

I eagerly await the day when I get ahold of one. For a bit I'll still only have my 2.4 400FSB Xeons, but I can always do the pin trick if I need to. I'll run them as fast as possible while I save up for some newer, faster, better xeons.

Whats up fellow 2cpuers :D

yes I believe the PCI-x slots will be independant of the PCI bus. Probably one of the main reasons this board will be 350$+ is that extra controller.

dont see too many people here get excited about Xeons...
Kinda funny though since Xeons are now becoming much more ocable with new platforms.

Oh yeah a little correction NightHawk :D

It was said that someone in the IWill test lab had it running at 250mhz FSB @ 3ghz. So 1ghz not 900mhs :D

While I know most people who OC the P4s on the i875 hit that and higher everyday so they dont see this as a big deal, they probably will when benchies start coming out. Just look at how much of a boost they get at 170-180mhz fsb.

But it will probably be a very long time before Xeons come into the bargin OC market like the MPX2 platform is.

Hi James,

It's good to see you over here.

The MPX isn't a bad setup but it's just not current anymore. The Xeons are still up to date and will be for a while longer. Price wise it's not that much more to get a Xeon dual platform. Maybe a third more. It's all a matter of what you think a fair price for the performance should be and what you can afford.

Audioaficionado said:
Hi James,

It's good to see you over here.

The MPX isn't a bad setup but it's just not current anymore. The Xeons are still up to date and will be for a while longer. Price wise it's not that much more to get a Xeon dual platform. Maybe a third more. It's all a matter of what you think a fair price for the performance should be and what you can afford.

Yeah definitely. I was looking into a dual barton setup before I got my folding farm. But then I saw some of the prices for MPX2 boards on ebay :eek: Some went for almost as much as my dpi533. I got two sl6eps for 300$ so thats not too far off of some high speed bartons especially when I bought them (last summer).

Ive noticed its very very easy to get awesome deals on the lower end xeon stuff.

jamesavery22 said:
Oh yeah a little correction NightHawk :D

It was said that someone in the IWill test lab had it running at 250mhz FSB @ 3ghz. So 1ghz not 900mhs :D

Awswome. Correct away as long as you keep going in that direction. Sweet! :D

By the way I just got my first Xeon duallie up and running :D

It's not what you think... it's a 550MHz PIII Xeon Dell Precision 610 workstation I just added the second $25 slot 2 CPU. I've got it running two F@H SSE Gromacs 24/7. It should boost me another 125PPW over the single processor I was running for a few months. Not a bad machine for a total $200 investment so far.

Audioaficionado said:
By the way I just got my first Xeon duallie up and running :D

It's not what you think... it's a 550MHz PIII Xeon Dell Precision 610 workstation I just added the second $25 slot 2 CPU. I've got it running two F@H SSE Gromacs 24/7. It should boost me another 125PPW over the single processor I was running for a few months. Not a bad machine for a total $200 investment so far.

Cool. Pics. :D

I was servicing my room mates dell today and noticed that Dell puts a huge green duct over the processor. How long have they been doing that? I wonder if they do it on the dual machines as well. I should ask him if I can install F@H on his machine.

Last edited:
OC-NightHawk said:
I was servicing my room mates dell today and noticed that Dell puts a huge green duct over the processor. How long have they been doing that?

They've been doing that forever. Every Dell machine I've worked on that was P2 or higher, has had a ducted CPU fan. (I haven't worked on any Dell duallies, though, so I don't know about them.)

Mine has the CPUs in a small cage like structure just under the Power supply. It has an exhuast fan positioned just to the rear pulling some case air over the processor passive heatsinks. Sort of like a sudo windtunnel. I think I can improve on the airflow over them by enclosing that windtunnel. I might also put a duct in the case side blowing into that tunnel. According to MBM5 they're running low 50s under full load and 20°C ambient temps.

Precision 610 WorkStation
Dell Computer Corp., Austin, Texas;
tel. 800-727-1100
http://www.dell.com
Price: $4,567

Here're some diagrams of the system if you're interested:

http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/dvol/

Well since Iwill has linked this thread I might as well update what I've done since my last post in it. I'm now the proud owner of the Iwill DH800. There's been some griping about not being able to get to 266fsb and only topping out at 240 or so but it's been very stable and has run 24/7 under full load since April 2004 without any issues on my end. I have my specs in my profile and running parameters in my sig.

Iwill DH800, Patriot PDP 2x512 PC3200 DDR400 2-3-3-7, dual Intel P4 Xeons 2.4 M0, Antec 550W True Power EPS 12V, AMS gTower Al window case, MSI nVIDIA GF4 Ti4600, Western Digital 74Gb Raptor & 250GB SATA WD2500JD, NEC 3500A dual layer 16x DVD burner & Samsung 16x DVD drive.

Update: Since I've done the H,L 200fsb BESL mod I'm running 1.55vcore/201MHz FSB/ 3418MHz (as per CPU-Z 1.26) fully loaded with 4xFAH clients 24/7. Temps are very good with my new almost silent Coolermaster E3W-NPTXS-04 heatpipe CPU coolers. 44°C & 49°C for my Prestonia 2.4GHz Xeons.

Not too shabby Iwill :thup:

I have the Iwill board and I am pretty ticked off that I cannot get to 250 FSB! I was wanting to run my 2.8s at 3.5 but the best I can do is 3.2.

Softgod said:
I have the Iwill board and I am pretty ticked off that I cannot get to 250 FSB! I was wanting to run my 2.8s at 3.5 but the best I can do is 3.2.
There is an effective ~233MHz fsb limit for dual Xeons in both the DH800 and Asus NCCH-DL. We believe this is imposed on the motherboard manufacturers by order of Intel. However there are a few guys trying to beat this and get the fsb past 266MHz. So don't feel too bad as we're all in the same boat for now. In the meanwhile, please enjoy your fine sytem. Not many have it as good as you even with your fsb limits.

Hey Audio, do you have any links or info on what they are doing to get past 220 or 233? I have some PC 4000 memory in there and I would love to get my 250 fsb.

Just do a search @ 2CPU.com forums on P4Northwood posts and/or 266FSB you'll be in the heart of it.

Back