• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-|S.O.U|-guy

I have a P3 450 and i want to overclock it. I have gone in my bios and my motherboard can change the cpu speed. What i am trying to find out is what is the highest the temp. of the cpu can go before it wrecks?

at normal clock it will probabally run fine up to 60oC depending on the overclock you will probabally need to keep it under 50oC, aim for 40-45oC. To overclock intel chips you need to modify the fsb, you can't change the multiplyer/clock ratio. With the 450 you may get up to 600mhz, but this could require extra voltage and cooling but won't hurt to try if you can, make sure you know how to reset the bios in case it doesn't work (unless the bus speed is set by jumpers where by you can just put them back) what motherboard do you have?

i have a intel 440bx/zx/dx
my temp was at 81 C then i put it to 500 and it was at 89 C is that a problem? (Im only 13 i dont know)

the 440bx is just the chipset on the board, you need to find out the actual board name and manufacturer, when you turn the computer on a screen comes up with the cou and memory information on (the POST screen) at the bottom is a long serial number, if you write this down I can find out what board you have.
Those temps are very high, they may be within intels specs but never the less they are high. I would suggest reading a few of the guides on overclockers.com front page for information on how heat and cooling affect overclocking

Easy enough mistake to make. They sound like your idle temps as I much doubt the cpu is that cool when running at ful load, to do this you would need something that can read you temps in windows, I use motherboard monitor but judging from those temps you should be ok overclocking.

What Mr. Phil meant to say was that try checking the CPU temperature in the Windows operating system, not in the BIOS because he wants you to see how the temperatures progress as you run your computer at load.

To do that, there are many way/ programs that will enable you to monitor the CPU and the rest of system temperatures. Some of the motherboards come with software that measures temperatures. Some may not have it. Or, you can just download SisoftSandra.

Back