• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about Aero7+ heatsink

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

maxxx

Registered
Hi guys,

Would lapping the heatsink of an Aero7+ help? Been thinking of doing this ever since I read the guide posted here. Though I have read that its not one of the best fan/heatsink for AMD, but its what I have now. Still saving up to get a new one.

My CPU is an AMD Athlon XP 2200+ on a ASUS A7N8X Deluxe. Right now, idle is at 44 deg C and it goes up to 52 when I am playing Need for Speed.

Thanks in advance......

Regads,

Maxxx - Newbie

Done properly, it sure can't hurt. Just don't expect a dramatic change due to lapping alone. If you've not used AS5 on your current installation, proper application of this TIM should help; in combination with lapping it may bring your temps down as much as 3-5C.

You may get more than that out of it if done right I have 2 of them (holding me over till my H2O is back up) and they are nasty on the bottoms. If copper wasn't so soft you could use them a files! I was to lazy to lap mine (using AS5) as they gave me good temps to noise ratio with out lapping and the fans set to about 3000 RPM each. IMHO lap away and let us know how much better temps you can get out of them.

Thanks guys. I will go through again on the guides here about lapping. Though getting AS5 is kinda hard to get here. Will not start until I get it next week. Saw lots of folks here recommending its use.

I'll post the results if I am succesful or not.

Regads,

Maxxx

Back