• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2-3 month old hdd getting bad sectors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Onlypro

2-3 month old hdd getting bac sectors

Its been about 2 maybe 3 months since I have had Raid 0 running on my asus a7n8x rev 1.1 using the sil image controller with 2 WD JD 120gb hdds.

As of 1 month ago i noticed that sometimes i would hear a hdd power down. It happened once or two times a week so i never though much about it.

In the past 2 weeks Its been doing ti a few times every day.
I tried to boot up a week ago and system files were damaged/missing.

Fixed bad sectors with wd diagnostic, it still keeps powering/on off and creating more bad sectors. what should I do?

I am backing up my files off of it, and I am re-imaging to a raid 1 configuration.

I dont think the problem is my power supply. It has never given me problems before, I cant detect a dip in the volt rails either.
Plus, the ide hdd i use dont do that powerdown thing.

I'd back up everything.

Next, I assume you've downloaded the diag package from WD since you repaired bad sectors? If so, run the diag test to verify the drive is bad. Then go ahead and RMA it to WD.

Definatly back the drive up. I've had similar issues when I overload my powersupply, but I'm assuming you haven't added any new hardware recently.

If you want to give it a shot, zeroing the drive has been known in a very small number of cases to fix the problem of 'growing' bad sectors. Just something to try before an RMA if you want.

JigPu

Back