• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PIII 1GHz Underclocking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AgentXXL

Until I can afford a new MB, I'm running my new PIII 1GHz (cC0 stepping) on a Gigabyte GA-6BA with an ASUS S370-DL slocket. Of course the 6BA is only capable of 100MHz FSB, and with the locked multiplier on the cpu, I'm only getting a PIII at 750MHz. My Vcore is 1.7V and my CPU temp is 48 (seems high, but then it's only the stock Intel heat sink/fan) with Seti@Home loading it. Now the questions:

1) Is there any danger in running the cpu at an FSB of 100MHz when it's designed to run with an FSB of 133MHz?

2) What MB do you guys recommend for this CPU, and what should I expect from overclocking attempts with this CPU?

Thanks for the advice....

AgentXXL (Jun 02, 2001 01:37 p.m.):
Until I can afford a new MB, I'm running my new PIII 1GHz (cC0 stepping) on a Gigabyte GA-6BA with an ASUS S370-DL slocket. Of course the 6BA is only capable of 100MHz FSB, and with the locked multiplier on the cpu, I'm only getting a PIII at 750MHz. My Vcore is 1.7V and my CPU temp is 48 (seems high, but then it's only the stock Intel heat sink/fan) with Seti@Home loading it. Now the questions:

1) Is there any danger in running the cpu at an FSB of 100MHz when it's designed to run with an FSB of 133MHz?

2) What MB do you guys recommend for this CPU, and what should I expect from overclocking attempts with this CPU?

Thanks for the advice....

1 i do not think there is a danger of hurting anything running at 100mhz my MB has settings for control of this option and now i think i'm running at 124mhz

2 i like the abit vh6-2 and i'm getting good performance out of it you should be able to get somewhere around 1200 out of that chip but it is hard to say for certain as all MB and chips and PCI devises overclock differently make sure your MB will let you go over 150FSB or you will be stuck in the 1100's I think your first desision would be to pick which chipset to run VIA or BX and then pick a MB from there. goodluck

AgentXXL,
emm I dont think the BX chipset mobo will do very good if you're going to overclock very high on the 133mhz bus 1Ghz chip. I think you should go with the i815E Intel chipset based mobo.

If your looking at the vh6 II might as well get the vh6t its the same board but has the fc-pga2 socket so you can run a taulatin cpu if in the future you want to.

What about the ABIT ST6-RAID MB? Is this a fair choice if I plan to overclock? I'm actually content with the standard 1GHz speed, so I may not even overclock it for the time being. And with a RAID enabled board like the ST6, does overclocking potentially interfere with the RAID implementation? I am planning to make this a server for my in-home LAN (14 machines so far), so RAID is a nice addition.

Back