• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

p3 800 question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IronLungsta

k well me again, got another question....
Heres my specs...
intel p3 800
pc133 ram (generic)
30 gig partitioned into 3 10 gig's @ 7200 rpms..
asus cuv4x
voodoo5500 oc'ed to 176

Ive tried a couple fsb settings, had it as high as 898 and as low as 828...
all settings extremely unstable.. im on stock fans and my cpu never reaches temp's ne higher than 40 C. so i dont think temp is the problem.. ive been readin up and found that u have to match ur ram mhz depending on what u have.. but my sdram only has setting to change it to 3/4 and 1/4 something like that... sorry guys im a bit of a newbie to this..im doing all my changes in my bios... ne1 have ne suggestions? is it the generic ram thats causing the problem??
thanx guys...

What do you mean all settings are unstable? Do you mean at default speed or just when you try to overclock? It sounds like some settings are wrong in the bios or you have an IRQ conflict or something, cause your temps arent all that high. Hard to say, It's a little hard to understand whats going on!

running generic ram out of spec will cause probems

you can go to www.rojakpot.com and look for bios guide this will explain allot of settings.

Depending on your front side bus [FSB] setting will determine what you run for your PCI divider i believe anything 133 and over will be set at 1\4 if you can give us a little more info so we can help you better also i would read up at the tips section theres allot of info to digest before you get a good grasp on whats going on, the more you learn the better your PC is going to be.

its unstable when i overclock it, regardless of how high i set it..
My system hangs inside of games majority of the time...
I tried lowering my agp to 2x but that didnt solve nething...
Ive had it running at 828 the past few hrs and have had no probs... 28 mhz is not even worth the chance of damaging the MB...
Ive currently got my sdram set on the default setting which I believe is auto spd..
wasnt too sure whether or not to change it to 3/4 etc...
The only things i have changed is the fsb mhz level and set cpu to manual(obviously)
I have recently checked my irq settings and had no conflicts with either sound card, video card or ethernet card... although i havent had a chance to look at nething else....
I have yet to upgrade my bios since getting this comp, could this b a problem?
Neways, appreciate ne help or suggestions...
Thanx

IronLungsta (Jun 03, 2001 12:58 a.m.):
its unstable when i overclock it, regardless of how high i set it..
My system hangs inside of games majority of the time... WHEN YOU SAY IT HANGS IS THE PC FREEZING UP REQUIRING YOU TO REBOOT?
I tried lowering my agp to 2x but that didnt solve nething... HAVE YOU TRIED TO DISABLE SIDEBAND IN REGISTRY?
Ive had it running at 828 the past few hrs and have had no probs... 28 mhz is not even worth the chance of damaging the MB... YOU SHOULD NOT DAMAGE THE MB WITH A MILD OVERCLOCK Ive currently got my sdram set on the default setting which I believe is auto spd.. YOU CAN ADJUST MANUALY TRY LOWERING IT AND SEE IF THAT HELPS THEN YOU WILL KNOW IF YOUR MEMORY HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT.
wasnt too sure whether or not to change it to 3/4 etc...
The only things i have changed is the fsb mhz level and set cpu to manual(obviously) HAVE YOU TRIED TO UP YOUR CORE VOLTAGE [JUST A LITTLE]?
I have recently checked my irq settings and had no conflicts with either sound card, video card or ethernet card... although i havent had a chance to look at nething else.... SOME PCI DEVISES DO NOT LIKE TO BE OVERCLOCKED AT ALL TRY TAKING EVERYTHING OUT AND TEST THE SYSTEM [PLAYING GAMES] AND SEE HOW IT PERFORMES AS YOU REINSTALL YOUR CARDS.
I have yet to upgrade my bios since getting this comp, could this b a problem? IT VERY WELL COULD, CHECK OUT THE WEBSITE OF YOUR MB AND SEE IF THERE IS A UPDATED VERSION FOR YOUR BIOS I WOULD NOT RUSH IN AND JUST FLASH AWAY FIRST I WOULD MAKE SURE THAT THE UPDATED VERSION WILL ACTUALLY HELP WITH YOUR PEOBLEM MOST UPDATED VERSIONS WILL TELL YOU A LITTLE ABOUT WHAT PROBLEM THEY ADDRESS.
Neways, appreciate ne help or suggestions...
CHECK FOR ALL OF YOUR WINDOWS UPDATES AS WELL AS UPDATED DRIVERS FOR YOUR SOFTWARE AND HARDWARE AND FOR 4 IN 1 IF YOUR RUNNING A VIA CHIPSET VIDEOCARD ECT ECT

GOODLUCK
Thanx

Well outhouse pretty well covered everything. I can tell you from experience that running your PCI bus even a little over spec can cause problems!

I personally dont think it is your ram. Maybe just some settings as fars as speed of the ram, But not the ram itself. As even generic pc133 ram will run at atleast 133mhz! One thing to try is maybe try running with only one stick of ram in and see if that does the trick. You can try moving it around to different DIMM slots as well. On my BE6-II I cant overclock any higher then 120fsb unless I move my ram to the slot farthest from the cpu slot (DIMM slot 3).

Also yes try decreasing the speed of your ram. It may run fine up to 133mhz fsb but not at cas 2 only cas3. Also try upping your VIO voltage a bit if you can as well.

I wish I could be of a little more help but I have never used that motherboard so I have no experience with it at all. Sorry!

K well ive had it clocked now at 872 for about 6-8 hrs with temps averaging around 35-42... Ive now realized the only problems i have are when im playing games... everything else is extremely stable...
What happens is the game just cuts out and goes back to windows.. there is nothing remaining when i press alt ctrl del and try to shut it down...yet i still hear audio... I have switched around my ram into every slot but had no luck...
I was wondering where i can disable sideband in the registry.. outhouse suggested this but i cannot find it...
Ne1 have ne idea what the problem is?
thanx..

no problem hope it helps it brought me a little extra stability maybe it can help you. on the front page check the tips section and go too video card performance and scrole down and you will see 2 articles regarding sideband there are good directions on how to set your registry value there.

Cooling Cooling, and more cooling...a PIII will run fine at default setings all the way up to 50c and beyond, however when overclocked, most PIII's and cellies get cranky above 36-37c. I would invest in a good cooler, and stay away from these "orb's".... they don't have the metal to dissipate the heat get something like a Global win FOP38, or an alpha pep66 for socket 370 designes, and an Alpha P3-125 for slot one, and you will be surprised at how much farther you can go just by cooling the cpu.
Like Outhouse said, upping the cpu core voltage might help, but only do it in little steps, and don't go over 1.9v...till you're confident you have enough cooling, and your cpu can handle it.
I hate to burst your bubble, but the 800E or EB is not a favorite here, because it is so difficult to overclock.
If you can get a gig out of it, count yourself as one of the few lucky ones.
Welcome to the forum, and good luck, and post back often...somebody will be here to help

DocClock aka MadClocker (Jun 04, 2001 03:57 a.m.):
I hate to burst your bubble, but the 800E or EB is not a favorite here, because it is so difficult to overclock.
If you can get a gig out of it, count yourself as one of the few lucky ones.

That is right! I had a PIII 600E @ 840mhz with default core voltage. Easy overclock. Well I sold it to buy a PIII 800E in hopes of reaching atleast 1gig. I heard some people were having problems but I figured I could get it there. Well that brought me to where I am today. since going to the 800E I have become obsessed with cooling! And I had to since this chip will not do anyhigher then 960mhz stable if the temp gets anywhere near 29c! At idle it was fine with my P3125 Alpha, but while gaming my temps would get higher then that and kick me back to the desktop. So I bought a 56w tec in hopes of lowering my temps. Worked good till summer came and things started heating up, then the cpu got warmer, same problem. Then I bought an 85w tec. Same problem. My ambient just isnt cool enough to run a tec with aircooling in my house! That brought me to watercooling the tec. Now my temps are at 3c @ idle and 10c @ full load. And guess what. I'm stuck at 1008. Thats as far as I can go without loosing any stability. Doesnt matter what voltage I run still wont help.

I wish so bad I would have gotten a PIII 700 instead! But oh well.

From what i've seen on regarding the overclocking of the 800's, they're definately not the best o/clocking procs, although some have had good results...
regards

Since you state that most of your problems occur
while running games, you might want to try without
O/Cing the video card to see it that is the problem.
I assume you have the newest drivers for the card.... If not,
you should get them installed.

I would leave the AGP at 2x also. If I turn my AGP 4x on,
I only get a slight improvement in 3dMark, but Unreal Gold
will lock up every time. Runs great at 2x. No idea why.....

This is true I do get lockups frequently if I overclock my video card while overclocking my cpu! But I also can run my system higher then 1008mhz stable, Untill I run any 3D apps!
A lot of people run into this problem while overclocking. The system will run fine but becomes unstable or locks up while starting or running 3D apps for a while. For me it's very unpredictable. It may lockup in a few minutes or it may take hours. But @ 1008mhz it never locks up.
Although if I have my computer desk door shut and my case temps get to high, it will kick me back to the desktop while gaming every now and then.

Back