• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie: Trying to switch from fans to WC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dark|slyde

i got my mobo from a really cool friend, and he inspired me to setup a pc worth looking at. i just had it for a few days and spent more than $700 on the regular parts like case, led fans, coldcaths, ide cables, hdds, gfx card

i want to change from airflow to wc but i have no idea. Anyone wanna help out?

I havent been able to work on PCs for like a billion years (well since before P3's came out) and cooling wasnt a big deal back then.

so here are the stats if anyone is willing to help out:
P4 2.53ghz pushing it to 2.85 (wants it to go upto 3.0+ without burning myself)
Albatron Millenium Silver PX845PE Pro II Mobo (Info here)
8 fans - CPU, mobo chipset, HDD, window fan, front case, 2x back of case (not including the powersupply.. gonna buy an antec one someday) 3xGeneric 80mm, 2xAntec BlueLED 80mm, 1xIntel fan for CPU, 1xThermaltake for chipset and the factory fan for my nvidia geforce fx 5600

i was looking at koolance and vapo/waterchill.. and i like waterchill better. I'm thinking of just cooling the cpu, the gfx card and the mobo chipset then keeping other fans and getting a Coolermaster Aerogate II fan controller for the rest. My dremal is ready for making holes.. nothing too big i hope.

definately sounds like your ready to go. most people here will steer you away from pre made kits. my system is a whitewater cpu block, a mag 3 pump, and a chevette heatercore. i am really happy. you could probably add a nice gpu block and chipset block too without having to add anything else. some people opt for bigger radiators and it might be good with 3 blocks, but im not sure.

well, waterchill has the dual black ice extreme radiator which is really nice with 2x120mm fans. the kit cost more or less $300. it includes all 3 blocks, a dual radiator, a reservior, controler, pump and it cost $100 less than what i'll pay for individual parts. Plus the push pins is my kind of stuff.. i'll prolly add BlueLEDLight Fans for it for some mod effects.

what do you think? should i stay with the kit or should i work with some danger dens blocks or with some other company's blocks since asetek decided that the loops for intel boards are evul and they dont want to make a block suited for it. oh yeah, would it mess up my wc radiator/pump if i put car coolants?

edit:
whats the difference between 1/2' hoses and those with bigger diameter ones? does it increase the heat dissipation or just for capacity?

info here:
Linky!
doesnt work with mozilla for some reason.. asp thingie.
KT12Extreme.jpg

WaterChill CPU/VGA/Chip set Power kit - KT12-L30 (115V)

Last edited:
i don't see why not. it seems good but i'm not sure either because i haven't gotten into watercooling so if you go with it tell me how it works out.

dark|slyde said:
well, waterchill has the dual black ice extreme radiator which is really nice with 2x120mm fans. [/B]

i'm afraid it doesn't - it has the dual black ice pro - which is outperformed by a (single fan) black ice extreme...

go to www.d-tekcustoms.com
Check out the white water cpu block.
check out some 1/2" ID 3/4" ID clearflex tubing
Check out thier JR-120 radiator or the pro core.
Check out the eheim 1250 or hydor L30.

If you build a sytem using thos parts it will perform well.

The bigger tubing gives you better flow, it isn't as restrictive. So, you get lower temps through better flowrate.

hey sand man what do u think about the waterchill antarctica waterblock. i know that the whitewater but it looks like a major flow killer

I'd say it would perform close to a white water assuming everything else was the same.

Basically, it's a white water knock off changed just enough to get around copyright laws.

They both hurt flow, but they have to for best performance.

question anyone know when dtek will have the whitewater in stock for the U.S. i'm to lazy to e-mail lol

Back