• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how good is cpuidle?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dimicchh

Registered
is it worth buying?
i m testing it right now and it seems to keep my temps down 6-10°C wiich is pretty decent.
does it affect performance? cpuidle hp claim "NO" but i thought i d ask around for personal experience rather than take their word for it.
It also seems to keep my load temps down 6-8°C. When i run prime95 cpuidle consumes half of the cpu time (about 45%) while p95 uses the rest (while before p95 used 99% cpu time). does that mean that p95 is not fully loading the cpu or that it just "gives" non used time to cpuidle.

please post your experiences.

I dont understand what this program does. It just makes your processor work at around half load to keep the temps down? Seems like that would totally negate the purpose of OCing your chip. If you want to keep your temps low just either dont overclock the chip or even underclock it a little. Seems like a waste of money to me :D.

I tried this app and frankly, couldn't figure out it's purpose.

With nothing running except the desktop, my temps were the same.
While Folding, my WU production went down and temps were the same.

Didn't do much for me...

I thought cpuidle enabled settings that would let the cpu idle properly? Similar to the via idle hack.

frankly i dont know what it does but i dont think it takes load of the cpu. especially when there IS no load on the cpu to take some of. the builders claim it runs the cpu in a way that its heat output is reduced when idle. also they claim that the program does not put adidtional load on the cpu since benchmarks show no performance differences with cpuidle on.

but like i said that is what they claim. has anyone run any test to confirm this? what would be a good benchmark to test this?

I would like to see a more specific schematicon how this program works.

What is this "Idle" you speak of? I have never seen this phenomenon before. Im folding 24/7 because idle is a waste of cpu power.

today i had the time to run some tests and it seems that even when running aplications cpuidle doesnt slow them down. i had about the same result when running sandra 2004 cpu arithmetics benchmark so it doesnt slow the cpu down... neither the whole system as 3Dmark showed no big difference in its score with cpuidle on or off while testing.

Back