• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Film Studios Prevail Against Software Maker

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silversinksam

Moderator/ Silver Paste Taster©
Studios Prevail Against Software Maker

LOS ANGELES - A federal judge ruled Friday that a software program that copies DVDs illegally violates the copyrights of Hollywood studios.

Judge Susan Illston ruled in San Francisco that software made by Chesterfield, Mo.-based 321 Studios violates the 1998 Digital Millennium Copyright Act (news - web sites), which prohibits the circumvention of anti-piracy measures such as the Content Scramble System protecting movies on DVDs.

The judge ordered the company to cease making or distributing such software within seven days of her order.

The company said it would appeal the ruling and ask for a stay during the process.

"Despite today's ruling, 321 stands firm in our vow to fight the Hollywood studios in their effort to take away our customers' digital rights," said Robert Moore, president of 321 Studios.

The software company had argued that its products merely give consumers fair use of the movies they've purchased — backing up expensive copies of children's movies in case the originals get scratched or copying snippets of films for educational and journalistic use.

But the studios said the software unfairly uses unauthorized keys to unlock the copy protection software built into the DVDs — the same keys that duly authorized DVD players use to play the movies.

In her ruling, Illston agreed with the studios that the software violates the Digital Millennium Copyright Act and that the law does not violate the right to free speech or interfere with the fair use rights of consumers.

"While 321's software does use the authorized key to access the DVD, it does not have authority to use this key, as licensed DVD players do, and it therefore avoids and bypasses (the Content Scramble System)," the judge wrote Friday.

The Motion Picture Association of America, which represents the studios named in 321's lawsuit, praised the ruling.

"Today's ruling sends a clear message that it is essential for corporations to protect copyrighted works while facilitating the enjoyment of entertainment offerings through new digital technologies," MPAA President Jack Valenti said.

Groups that had joined the lawsuit in support of 321 said the ruling hurts the legitimate rights of consumers to make backup copies of DVDs they buy legally and urged reforms to the existing law.

"In passing the (Digital Millennium Copyright Act), Congress certainly did not intend to eliminate all consumer copying," said Cindy Cohn, legal director of the Electronic Frontier Foundation. "This court's reading of the statute in the 321 Studios case allows a ban on any tool that enables consumers to copy their DVDs."

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=528&e=2&u=/ap/20040221/ap_on_bi_ge/dvd_suit

321 Studios Press comment:
http://www.321studios.com/PRESS/2.20.2004.htm

View Legal Brief:

http://www.321studios.com/PRESS/SJ Order.pdf

Glad I already own this software because if they are forced to release a version without the 'ripper', the software is useless. On Feb 27th unless a stay is granted this software will be illegal to buy(it will be interesting to see if they force it off store shelves on the 27th as well)

My Opinion is this is outrageous, I have hundreds of DVD's all legally obtained and I feel it is my right of fair use to be able to make a duplicate in the event the original gets scratched or damaged. Most of the DVD's I buy have a Lifetime warranty from Moviegallery, but if they don't have a replacement in the store, I have to pick a replacment title of equal value, and I am out of luck and have to buy a second copy of the DVD I already own. That to me is unfair. The Digital Millennium Copyright Act apparently was written to protect the Movie Industry and not the consumer, and that is not the intent when these laws were written.

i fully agree with you on that one.

but in the end, who is it really who the laws end up getting made for?
big companies have the big money. it takes the big money to fund an election campaign for any government, party, or member of a government. That government makes the laws.
Or if you dont agree with that, then its the big companies who make the big money that drive the big stocks that keep the economy floating. and if the economy fails, and the country loses money, then the government gets fingers pointed at them to fix it.
and if you dont like THAT analogy then come up with your own cuz im tired and its been a long day :p lol

To enjoy the benefits of a capitalist society, we must also endure the shortfalls of the system as well. And that is laws are more often going to favour large companies that support the economy over the millions of customers who support that company. Just look at the RIAA. theyre crucifying 12 year old kids for chists sake.

if everybody really has a problem with this, then we all have to do something about it or nothings EVER going to be done to protect the consumers. just more laws protecting the earnings of a huge corporation.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, February 20, 2004 4:19 AM
To: Sales
Cc: Tech Support
Subject: DVD Xcopy Express

Dear 321 Studios,

I am sorry to hear of the ruling today and I signed the petition
notifying my Represenatives. My concern is that I am a hardware enthusiast and I have to
reformat often. I have used my last activation number(I read I can use it 3x before I need to call and get additional numbers?)

If this Court ruling does go into affect or you cant get a stay, what happens to my software once I reformat again? Will my DVD copy express cease functioning or I wont be able to reinstall it? My activation number info is:

XXX XXXX DVD copy express code xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Please let me know If I am out of luck or if I can get additional
activation numbers prior to the 27th

Again I am sorry to see the Movie Studios get away with this treachery,
I
own hundreds of DVD and I feel I am entitled to make back ups in the
event
my DVDs gets scratched.

Regards
Samuel Green

Dear Customer,

Thank you very much for your support. It is very much appreciated. As
for your activations, we now changed you activations from 3 at a time to
now 5 at a time. We went ahead and reset every one of our customer's
activations to 5 earlier this week. If and when the ruling would happen
to take affect 321 Studios will make every effort to allow customers to
enjoy the software they purchased. Thank you and have a good day!

XXXXXXXX XXXXX. | Customer Service
321 Studios
P: 636.720.3600
[email protected]

i agree silver, where is the petition? This is the way i look at it. I leagally own dvd's, and want to insure my purchase. I will be damned if some government law tells me I can't make copies of my legally owned media. I would like to sign this petition. Its funny how all these laws are passed with out consulting the general public.

I think that move my hurt them in the long run. Lashing out after a lawsuite dosent make you seem more innocent. But hey, free software.

greenman100 said:
Supposedly its versions that may get activation keys released.

They locked the FTP

Reason is that vendors can still legally sell DVD X Copy software after Friday, they can sell exsisting stock as that was not affected on the court ruling

Im not really sure what the purpose of the FTP was...I know friends and I downloaded it, but you still have to have a key to activate it, which unless i missed something, wasn't included.

SS, what do you mean by it being locked? I had no problem getting to the ftp site or downloading from it.

I thought that was the case, but then I thought I'd ask to make sure I was following things correctly. Thanks.

I have downloaded DVD X-Copy. I hope the lawsuit falls through though. I currently use DVD Shrink and it is awesome. But............... if 321 studio's appeals fall through and they release the so called "Super Key" I am ready!!

DMCA SUCKS!!!

Make sure that you run spybot after you install that proggie. I got about 50 registry keys and an exe that spybot said "installs unknow content" from that DL.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Of course this happens just when I finally bought a DVD burner to backup my legally purchased DVDs :rolleyes:

Is this program still legal to own second hand (if the previous owner removes it from his/her system)?

OSUmaxx said:
Of course this happens just when I finally bought a DVD burner to backup my legally purchased DVDs :rolleyes:

Is this program still legal to own second hand (if the previous owner removes it from his/her system)?

Yes, The Ruling Only affects 321 Studios itself, not the vendors selling it. Although I have read many News reports where the reporters do not have a clue to what they are talking about. Some have stated things like, 'XXXX Vendors still have Decss based DVD X Copy on the shelves'. Fact is I listened to the 321 Conference call and read the court ruling and the software is still on store shelves and it's not breaking ANY laws to buy it. 321 Just can't sell it to the vendors at this point.

PS I was very pleased to see the MPAA lose this case

http://news.com.com/2100-1026_3-5166887.html?tag=nefd_top

"If you buy a DVD you have a copy. If you want a backup copy you buy another one." --Jack Valenti, head of the Motion Picture Association of America speaking to The Associated Press in November Link

Back