• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCing a FX 5200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rcillig

I got a 128mb FX 5200 and its stock speeds are 250/400 and I have overclocked it too 295/460 using coolbits. But is there a better way? Ive read a bit about flashing the bios, would that be better and if so how do I do it? What will be the approx max I will hit outa this? I do get a 3dmark2001se score of 8125 with it set at 295/400. Would I be able to hit more if I increase the voltage in my system bios for the agp slot?

also one more thing why do certian FX 5200 hit much better speeds than others do?

One last thing I am using the latest driver I could find.... 5.6.5.5 got it from guru3d.com.

ty
rcillig

Coolbits is the best way i think.
I wouldnt flash any bios if i didnt know what i was doing!!!!

Every individual card is different some might get a huge overclock and others might not want to oc at all.Its the luck of the draw.

Anyway thats a good score for the 5200.

BTW pushing the agp voltage will do nothing to help.

i've got my Chaintech 5200 128mb up to 380/425 using coolbits, but cant get it higher, especially the memory speed. what brand is yours?

mine is a evga and it seems to be running good at 295/460 but I had it up too 310/475 and it ran 3dmark 2001 just fine and scored good but in games such as Need for Speed Underground I had graphic freezes and color run over... bluring and that kinda stuff so I lowered it and it runs much smoother in games that what I was wondering about if I switched drivers if it would get better or not.

i had a lot of graphic glitches at any speed shigher than stock until i noticed the option in coolbits to switch from 2d to 3d. now everything's smooth. check and see if you've done that.

how about this I get better 3dmark score at the same overclocked speeds when I use Riva Tuner to oc rather than using coolbits. Why is that? and should I still use Coolbits?

Where do you set it to 3d...cannot see it anywhere. Maybe my drivers are to old, 4x.xx?

rcillig said:
mine is a evga and it seems to be running good at 295/460 but I had it up too 310/475 and it ran 3dmark 2001 just fine and scored good but in games such as Need for Speed Underground I had graphic freezes and color run over... bluring and that kinda stuff so I lowered it and it runs much smoother in games that what I was wondering about if I switched drivers if it would get better or not.

The drivers wont make any difference on how high u can clock ur card.

Although the 56 drivers ur using are still beta right now so they might not have got all the bugs out yet.

Try using the 5303's,they are the latest official nvidia drivers.

Once I build a computer for someone. Her VGA is MSI FX5200-T128. The default speed is 200/400 and the vga successfully overclocked to 430/500 stable. Nice?? I'm impressed with its OC capability. BTW ... No volt mod.

8917.jpg

asw7576 said:
Once I build a computer for someone. Her VGA is MSI FX5200-T128. The default speed is 200/400 and the vga successfully overclocked to 430/500 stable. Nice?? I'm impressed with its OC capability. BTW ... No volt mod.

8917.jpg

wow! nice oc on the core! 430? on a 5200?

I've got an XFX FX5200, stock speeds of 250/ 330

I have the 2D 3D button in my properties as well, but when I set it to 3D it pouts my mem up to 450 and I start getting glitches, can someone maybe explain this 2D/3D button a little more, I can't afford to blow anything up.

Komitet said:
I've got an XFX FX5200, stock speeds of 250/ 330

I have the 2D 3D button in my properties as well, but when I set it to 3D it pouts my mem up to 450 and I start getting glitches, can someone maybe explain this 2D/3D button a little more, I can't afford to blow anything up.

hmmm. I had 2 fx5200's and niether of them had a 2d/3d option
only my 5600 ultra does. which drivers are u using?

im using the 5.6.5.5 and it has the 2d/3d option I got this driver from guru3d.com its a beta version so you cant get it from nvidia yet. Got mine stable at 305/470 and I added a fan to mine aslo to get it stable.

Back