• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crossover Cable From Router To PC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Onizuka

Was trying to hook sis comp up to new router, and it wouldnt connect to net. Was just wondering this cable I think is a crossover. Me and cousin got it while back to connect our comps , but they didnt have it set to crossover, so they rewired it for crossover or something. Anyways cuold that be whats making the net not work? It wont open any webpage, when I go to internet options, and connections, it locks up. I think its the cable, dont you?

If the router has an uplink port, try plugging it into that rather than a normal uncrossed port.

to make it clear

use a crossover cable if u attach it to the uplink port
otherwise a straight cable if u attach it to a regular port

Not only that, I have had experience where cables go bad, but not bad enough to not make a connection (if that makes sense.) A faulty cable can give you lights on the NIC and router, show a connection, but have really slow transfer rates or intermittent connection. So when in doubt, try a new cable before messing with drivers and yanking cards.

and FYI... some DSL modem manufacturers (and maybe some cable modems too) require a crossover cable and not patch cable. So when in doubt, try the cable that came with your hardware.

her comp is about 20ft away and I dont have another cable long enough. Im pretty sure its the cable though, the network card works fine, lights blink ect.

Back