• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Well I think It's dead....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fast420A

I just built a 2.4C rig on a P4P800. Ran it for a few hours, installed XP and all service packs and mobo drivers. Installed Folding and posted on the Folding Benchmark ORB. Then I move it into a case, get it all wired up and pretty, turn it on and no boot. The fans kick on and the HD spins up but the video card fan never kicks on. I hooked up a speaker to the mobo header and there was no beep codes or anything. I have tried the video card in another setup, it works fine, I have tried a PCI video card in the P4, nothng, tried a different power supply, I even took the PAL8942 back off and removed the chip, put it all back, re-AS3ed the chip, reinstalled and nothing. :( I guess the chip is dead...I don't know what else it could be...Any folders have a suggestion to get this back up and folding?

The board is shorted. Send it to me and I will have it. ;)

No but really, take off the PCI cards. Just un screw the motherboard from the case leaving everything else attached. Make sure the board isn't touching the case & hit the power button.

If it boots then you simply had a screw/mounting stand-off shorting it out.

The board is back out of the case now, I forgot to write that, it isn't shorting out and has been tested again outside of the case. I also did clear the CMOS. Keep them coming....

Last edited:
Maybe take a good look at the mobo and see if you can find any burn/black marks on solderpoints around the screwmount holes,top and bottom. can you replace the cpu with another, or use that cpu in another mobo to narrow down the culprit?

my 2 cents, good luck, it has happend to the best of us...

rezon8 said:
Maybe take a good look at the mobo and see if you can find any burn/black marks on solderpoints around the screwmount holes,top and bottom. can you replace the cpu with another, or use that cpu in another mobo to narrow down the culprit?

my 2 cents, good luck, it has happend to the best of us...

Oh it's happened to me a few times, I have all the dead AMD boards and AMD chips to prove it. This is my first Pentium rig since my 1996 P120. I have been all AMD since then as it doesn't hurt as bad when a chip dies. The thing is, this chip was hitting 3.3Ghz on 1.5v with the Alpha PAL8942 @ 32C!!! I am at work right now but I will take a closer look for burns but I didn't see any. If there was someone else near Tampa that could try the chip on their chip in my board it would rock but I know of no one. :(

I too have fried at least 2 bartons when i was trying to get this rig up and working(see sig)

i will never forget the acrid smell of burning polysilicon and plastic x2!!!! luckily i was spared the same fate with my K7D....

if your HD;s spin up and the power button connected to your mobo work, then chances are the cpu could be the problem, were there any circumstances that led up to this, or is it just an ordinary upgrade, one minute it works fine, next minute with new parts never works again?

SUCCESS!!!!!! I left the battery out for 20 minutes with the clear CMOS switch enabled and then tried starting it up for the 50 somethingth time and it works! Woo Hoo!!! Now I just gotta figure out the case shorting since that must have been it. Could it be because the Alpha PAL8942 is missing the nylon washers used for the mounts? Or does the P4P800 need a nylon standoff like my Soyo did? Time to download the manual I guess.

Fast420A said:
SUCCESS!!!!!! I left the battery out for 20 minutes with the clear CMOS switch enabled and then tried starting it up for the 50 somethingth time and it works! Woo Hoo!!! Now I just gotta figure out the case shorting since that must have been it. Could it be because the Alpha PAL8942 is missing the nylon washers used for the mounts? Or does the P4P800 need a nylon standoff like my Soyo did? Time to download the manual I guess.

No Manual?

Was it a newegg refurb or something?

Congrats!!!!

feels good doesnt it? When you think you are screwed and everything turns out OK...

Lucky you, i didnt get to rejoice like you did today, i lost $150 on two bartons....

glad to hear it though

I bought it from Kunaak. I think he bought it as a Newegg refurb. He had a chip over 4 Ghz on this board so I know it's blessed. ;) The good thing is, it's already Vdimm Modded so once I get some good ram, I can crank up the FSB at a 1:1 ratio. Right now I have it running at 275 FSB 5:4 with the v1.1 PC3200 Corsair XMS @ 220 FSB 2-2-2-6 timings.

No biggie... I replaced an Asus A7N8X Delux after the THIRD RMA with a DFI LanParty Ultra -B for $156.

I've never been more impressed with any motherboard since the Abit BH6 v1.0 that's cranked a PII350@476 & PIII -750@1020 & runs flawlessly to this very day.

Ironically the same head Engs that designed the "great" Abit boards that now work at DFI heh. It's amazing what an Eng can do when a company just says "Hey what do you guys want to make?".

FYI The Asus board (when they send it back) will be going on the forum before ebay... Anyone in here want dibs on it?
NYP.

Back